Late deer hunting.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by shooter$, Dec 30, 2012.

1. shooter$

shooter$ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year hunting and I kinda was late in the season getting started. Went out for my first time about late November during gun season and shot a doe but never could fine her. Didn't leave very much blood to track. I got a bow for my birthday in Dec. and fall in love with bow hunting. Only problem I'm having with it being late in hunting season is I'm not see any deer on hoof. I been going out in the early morning. Would it be better to hunt in the evening or morning and where would be the best place to hunt. Meaning by water, or foot plots? I'm hunting on public land FYI. Anything would help thanks.

2. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stick to food sources in late season. Deer are still trying to pack on winter weight. but they wil be trying to feed closer to their core area (IMO) Good luck!

3. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    open/available water can be a great focus pt now to...with it drier and freezing up open water is a huge draw for deer - they don't eat ice and don't like to eat snow so....find food and water together and you should do well especially just before a snowfall or drop in temps.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to assume that you got your bow this December? Correct? Have you had any experience shooting before now?

5. shooter$

shooter$ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Correct I got it this December. I have been doing a lot of target shooting during the week when I can't go out hunting. I have never shot a bow in my life but was in the infantry for 6 years so shooting is natural to me. I know shooting a bow is different from a rifle but most of the rules still apply. Breathing, sighting and firing. At 20, 30, and 40 yards I group about 1 to 2 inches. broke a few arrows in the process.

6. shooter$

shooter$ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting by a little river that feeds the lake. Keep in mind its public land because I don't have enough money right now to lease any land and most of the leases are taken. There are a few around but then the money issue is in play. So i'll hunt where I can until we regroup after the Christmas spending. Thanks for your advice I'll put them to use.

7. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Infantry here as well (current) Practice is key no matter what but you can over practice once you shoot so many arrows your form will start to flaw. But in addition to your original question, find a "pinch point" where they may be traveling from food/water sources from bedding areas if its anything like it is here in NY they will probably have a well groomed trail system by now (similar to early season feeding patterns) Thats just my opinion there are a ton of knowledgeable people on here so for this post it gets a **BUMP**