Last Day of the Season!!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by ecorrigan, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ecorrigan

ecorrigan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not that this is a surprise!!

I've been out every single chance I've gotten during Spring Bear Season, in hopes of seeing a shootable bruin, but haven't had much luck the whole time! Finally, on the last day, I saw this sow playing and eating at the bottom of a stand of trees. Her cubs were hidden in the trees, but we saw them quite a bit. One was jet black, like Momma and the other one was a really pretty cinnamon color! Can't shoot a sow with cubs here in Montana, regardless of age, but a lone sow is legal!
    We had fun sitting and watching her and watching the cubs. Towards the end of our sight-seeing, she wandered in a direction where the wind swirled and caught scent of us. She bluff-charged to within 25-yards of my 10-year old son and myself. When she stopped and was staring intently at us, I put a round from my .45 into the ground in front of her. It took another few seconds (an eternity at the time), but she finally ran off and her cubs scurried up a tree.
    As we were walking toward the road, our only escape route out of the area short of cutting across private property, she walked in the same direction and cut us off! The only road in and out and she had to cut us off. We ended up back-pedaling several hundred yards and cut across some private land that wasn't too far away, in order to get out! All in all, it was a great experience. Something my 10-year old will remember for the rest of his life I hope!!
    I'll go back this fall and see what her and her cubs are up to and hopefully find the boar that knocked her up!!

Sow 2.jpg
    Sow 1.jpg
    Sow 3.jpg

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that's amazing! Such a great story for you and your son! Glad you guys are ok!

3. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats an awesome story she looks big!

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool story, thanks for sharing!

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been followed out but never had one charge. I'm sure your son wont forget. Thanks for sharing.

6. ecorrigan

ecorrigan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    liwhitetail, my best guess (guessing weight always gets me in trouble, especially with women) is that she's pushing close to 300. She was a big broad! Her coat was in fantastic shape and everything about her screamed 'shooter' except the cubs!