Landowner calls off the track

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Old West, Nov 14, 2017.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the crickets are coming from the answers to whatever hypothetical scenario you come up with is the same. It's very simple. Track and find the deer. You can come up with 10 more and the answer will be the same.

w33kender and fletch920 like this.
  2. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To be further clear about it:
    Hunter A shoots a fawn. I only have one day to hunt. I'm in my sanctuary guaranteed a chance of a 140" buck. Hunter A has an hour before rain comes in. The blood trail is projected to go 20 yards in front of my stand at said time. I get down and help hunter A recover his/her 90 lb. deer. It isn't complicated to me.

w33kender and fletch920 like this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The thing I was trying to convey ( although not clearly) was, " ethics" are an ever changing event. what You did 10 years ago and what you do today and what you 10 years from now can turn and do change..
    As stated earlier, it ain't happened yet and I'm quite fond of letting newbie,women and children hunt. Don't wanna quit denying them for the off chance it happens.
    Been LOTs of memories made but perhaps I should shut er down?.

And knowone did answer the past senario!

snuff likes this.
  4. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya all answers should be find the deer no matter the scenario, it’s really surprising (maybe it shouldn’t be) to me how many people feel there is a situation where it’s ok to let a deer waste.

How about don’t let someone hunt the two or three days leading up to your only day off? Taking any situation like the stories above off the table.

Jason_wi, Julian, 78littlered and 2 others like this.
  5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, everyone answered the scenario. But, in your fantasyland of scenarios you hope to get someone to make the same unethical decision that you have made. And, that's not likely to happen. If you allow others to shoot, they should be allowed to exhaust the search. That never changes. Period.

And, it's; "No one" and "scenario", for future fantasy reference.

6. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Yes Fletch, it is a fantasy scenario, ain't happened and chances are SLIM it will.
    But in the off chance it does, yes I will deny.
    You did not answer it. Be HONEST, what would you do?

w33kender likes this.
  7. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it would be illegal to deny a neighbor here. That being said, I still would help a neighbor look for their deer. Quietly and slowly. Because I would expect the same from my neighbor in return. So, I help him look. And, if I have given someone permission to hunt my ground, then I have also given them permission to exhaustively search for a wounded deer. We have already been over that. If your sanctuary is off limits for deer searches to anyone but you until you are tagged out, and you allow others to hunt prior to being tagged out, that's messed up. There is no fantasy land situation that makes it right. It is wanton waste and illegal here, in addition to being unethical everywhere. So ya, if you aren't willing to let them recover their game, don't let them hunt.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I once made a poor shot on a mule deer buck on a walk in area. From the location of my shot i watched the deer travel about 600 yards and bed down and die in a CPR field on the neighboring ranch. I sat glassing that deer for several hours and used my map chip to get the landowners name and phone number. it took me awhile to finally contact him. I explained what transpired and nicely asked permission to acess the property from my location to retrive the deer. I was floored when he said no, he stated that " if i wanted you hunting my lands i would have leased it to the state ". he then hung up before i could replead my case. A truck went out and drove into the area of the cpr field a short time later and i could only assume they procured the buck.
    I went from shock to anger to Resignation. At somepoint you have to realize that we cant always account for other peoples decisions, be they right or wrong. And that their decision despite it being Erroneous or having a negative effecti on us shouldnt be grounds for us not doing whats right. Sometimes the right choice has the wrong outcome for us, yet the choice was still correct.

Ldsturg, CoveyMaster and fletch920 like this.
  9. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, it's not " illegal" here. I TOTALLY understand that the O.P' s story sucks!! And have been there!!
    I'm not trying to start an argument but EVERY sitituation is different.
    I have given more time than you imagine helping people find/ trail deer. Have driven over 200 miles and taken time from work to do so. ( Several times)
    I've never been with anyone more tenacious on a wounded deer than myself. Have tracked 100' s where others have gave up.
    That being said, now I ( finally" ) have my own ground and spend a huge majority of my time doing what I can to make it a deer HEAVEN and have done it!
    I ask for nothing from anyone that I let hunt. And have enjoyed SO many awesome memories.
    There are handicapped folks, youth ,women and newbies that I allow to hunt. Without asking so much a stick of firewood cut.
    Everyone that hunts gets to sit in the " front stands" which are all about 200 yards from the " sanctuary" .
    As stated, been lucky so far.
    The word " ethics" get tossed around alot. I've seen "ethics" that would....:mad:
    I would HATE to deny the few I let hunt due to the OP,s story .
    But in everything thing in life, there are limitations.
    That being said, can you put in a " quote" the last senario I posted and honestly say what YOU would do.
    No spin/ deflection... What would YOU do??
    Et
    Ti

10. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I would ask Santa for another world record buck to hump my leg after dragging out the neighbors doe.

11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    You're a good man Fletch, not honest but,.:hail:..

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Believe what u want d-bag.

13. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Good answer!
    Kinda figured:busted:

14. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone but you that weighed in here allows deer to be recovered without selfish gain. I understand that makes you want to come up with some fantasy world scenario to make you feel better about yourself, but it's still just your fantasy. The rest of us will stay in reality and follow an ethical code. You calling me a liar makes you look like a desperate loser that would put his own trophy hunting wants ahead of all others. Seems like the shoe fits, just wear it and make sure your purse matches.

cant, rknierim and IAwhitetails like this.
  15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't want to let someone search around in any or my sanctuaries either. I would before letting them lose a deer but I wouldn't be happy about it. I try my level best to just not let people hunt very close to any of the sanctuaries but I have tracked deer for over a mile before in years past. There's really no practical way to eliminated it from happening. Then again, some of our sanctuaries are so damned rough, I'd pity the poor bastard that tried to track a wounded animal in them. That's actually where the gut shot one last week went that we looked for over four hours in search of and it was not a pleasurable experience. Coal dumps, strip pits, green briar, locust trees, blackberry brambles, gah.

fletch920 and ruteger like this.
  16. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree. None of us get too excited about entering a sanctuary other than shed season, but we certainly don't keep others from following up on a blood trail to retrieve a deer from a sanctuary. That's insane in any land, fantasy or not.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The question is, do the people hunting on your place know that you will deny them the ability to track a wounded animal into the most likely place a wounded animal would retreat? If they do, I can't imagine they would feel all warm and fuzzy about hunting on your property.

18. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in for today's What if scenario ......:poke:

Julian and fletch920 like this.
  19. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WHAT IF .....
    A neighboring landowner needs to track or recover a deer in your sanctuary ?

20. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rock, paper scissors to see if it's allowed or not.

Julian and dprsdhunter like this.