Landowner calls off the track

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Old West, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Bubby D

Bubby D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the deal, you let them hunt, you better let them track. I get that a lot of work goes into the privately owned hunting property but if some one shoots an animal and he has to track it through a deer sanctuary, it is what it is, that includes neighbors too. I'd expect the same if I shot one too. So many of us say we respect the wildlife, but a lot of times its only the wildlife we are pulling the trigger on. Buck or doe he should let you trail on a good shot that will be fatal for the animal.

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned hunting land going on 30 years now and I have never denied anyone tracking rights. With that said I have had a few trespassing issues mainly with guys and their dogs chasing bears or coyotes now those guys never get a free pass with me.

78littlered likes this.
  3. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've made it very clear with the hunters on our neighboring properties that if they have one hit they have full permission to track it on our land. In fact they have my phone number and I told them to call or text me and I will come help them. Same is reciprocated the other way around. Not wanting to recover a deer to avoid mucking up the gun woods? Not cool.

w33kender and pick00l like this.
  4. Jason_wi

Jason_wi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a land owner... I would let the guy who I said could hunt on my land find the deer he shot.. That is just the right thing to do. Crazy stuff happens when bow hunting, deer will run off, bad shots are made. If you can't deal with that then don't let anyone hunt your land.

w33kender and 78littlered like this.
  5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. This is a revolting thought to me. Here, it would be illegal wanton waste. Everywhere, it would be unethical at best. To give up on a blood trail because the deer entered a sanctuary is sickening.

And yes, I own hunting farms and have sanctuaries that are not entered other than shed season also. But, you better bet your life that I will go in there to recover ANY deer that has been hit. Buck or doe, makes no difference.

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't had anyone ask to track across our land but in most instances I would be fine with it. I would want myself or my dad with however. We have cattle throughout the majority of our land and I'm guessing 99% of people don't have a clue how to act around cattle. The last thing we need is to chase cattle across the county or fix fence for a week because someone was looking for a deer.

w33kender likes this.
  7. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This makes no sense at all. You put in a ton of hard work to shoot a deer only to stop tracking a wounded deer when it enters the "sanctuary" because you are afraid of scaring off future deer to shoot? So, theoretically you could shoot 50 deer and not recover a single one?

8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, Let's do a little scenario.
    Let's say you have a cam that sends you pics. You get one at noon showing a "200" inch 5 x5 walking by. You crap yourself first than beg n plead to your boss to get the rest of the day off. Get the " ok" , fly home and shower up and on the way to your stand, you get a call from a neighboriing guy that says he gutt shot a doe and it ran on to your land, right where you were gonna sit. What ya gonna do?:bhod:

Oh, you hate the guy!:biggrin:

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Help him with the doe after I get done hunting.

Skywalker likes this.
  10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's how we handle it for same reason. Deer are nice but cattle put money in the bank so would rather not have them scattered.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What french said or stop and meet the guy to go help. Even if you hate the guy since we're dealing in what if's, what if that same buck runs on his ground after you shoot him and he tells you take take a flying leap when you ask to look.

If somebody actually calls and doesn't just do it why be a ass. I hate one of our neighbors but wouldn't deny access if they took time to ask instead of just goin out there. In the end it benefits everybody more anyway regardless of relationship.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

78littlered likes this.
  12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would also hunt, and then help the neighbor. But, that really doesn't compare to making someone pull off a blood trail because their deer went into your sanctuary. That's just wrong on so many levels.

IAwhitetails, JGD and dprsdhunter like this.
  13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get it???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Shocker99 likes this.
  14. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. What if it was early season and hot out and YOU only had one day to hunt all year. Let's say that giant came by and YOU made a bad hit and made the call to wait till morning to follow up. Knowing your neighbors deer would be spoiled by morning but you don't want to go in and bump YOUR mosnster and lose him, what would do?

Remember, ethics are ethics,.. be honest:rolleyes::thewave::rolleyes:

15. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Wisco, I'm not sure if I made that statement clear of not?
    I Will trail my own deer into the " sanctuary" till hell Freeze's over, but until my tag is filled, I won't allow others in there.
    Thankfully, I haven't had to be an ******* yet :rock:

16. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Why the crickets guys?
    Let's hear what the previous bashers have to say about the above senario.
    Have a feeling there will be more crickets:ninja:

18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, if I'm following this correctly, the scenario goes like this: I crap myself about noon, race home, get ready to head to the stand, get a call from a neighbor saying he just gut shot a doe and wants to go into the area I'm planning to hunt to look for it. It is hot out and the deer will likely spoil if not recovered quickly. This is my only opportunity to hunt all year so I now have to decide whether to hunt my stand or let the neighbor I hate, go look for a gut shot doe so it doesn't spoil. I go ahead and hunt, make a bad shot on the deer I've named Crapper (for obvious reasons) and now have to make a call on taking a chance at bumping and losing Crapper to help my hated neighbor find his doe, or leave his deer to spoil so I can retrieve Crapper the next day.

If I got that right, my response would be to consider first that the gut shot doe will require 8-12 hours wait time before taking up the trail. How long is a judgement call. Let's say I go with the 12 hour option and I get the call around 2 pm, since I had to rush home, shower to wash the crap off me, change clothes, grab my gear and get headed to the stand before the call comes in. That means I can't take up the trail on the doe until midnight to 2:00 am. So, let's also say I shot Crapper at 5:00 pm and have to give him 8-12 hours as well. 12 hours for him would be at 5:00 am and daylight would be fast approaching. I believe I would make the call to start looking for both deer at daylight with the neighbor's help and hope they lived long enough before dying to keep from spoiling.

You can't fix all the "what ifs" but try to make the best decision at the time. Would it be a better idea to go after the doe prematurely when we all know that a gut shot deer needs 8-12 hours before searching for it? I would prefer to wait for it to die and hope to recover it before it spoils. If I bump the deer it will become coyote food. If it spoils it will also become coyote food. With a little luck both deer become our food. Ethical decision? Not sure, but that would likely be my decision unless there was more information to consider at the time.

19. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you let someone hunt your property you better let them track it on your property too. That's part of hunting so in my eyes really you already gave them permission. If you are that worried about it don't let them hunt at all.
    Or if you are worried about it let them hunt up to a certain date. I have hunted land I have to get out 2 weeks before gun opener and I am fine with that.

Why would you be able to go into your "sanctuary" but not them the deer deserves more respect than that why have double standards?

I hunt a piece of land with 8 acres that are huntable that we let the neighbor hunt as well. He was out there when I was the other week and shot a deer 2 hours before dark and I got out of my stand helped him get it as it went into the swamp. Which I knew scared deer away as they usually transition from there through the property into the park on the other side. Is that going to wreck my whole year hunting? No I don't think so

cantexian and JGD like this.
  20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they gave up because the speculative scenarios are becoming too goofy and set apart from the OP they just
    Moral of the story:
    Don't crap your pants and don't gut shoot deer.

JGD likes this.