Landowner calls off the track

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Old West, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya unfortunately the owner can decide what he wants. I completely disagree with it and don't think the owner is a good hunter given his decision. If it were me, I'd reconsider hunting there in the future. I'd bet the rotting buck would mess things up worse than a person walking through and tracking an animal given the predators it would attract.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know, I feel same way. Actually had long debate with buddy that is a GW and some if his work buddies. Without goin into whole conversation basically response I got was they cant do their job unless have that ability and if your not doin anything wrong why is it a problem?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    If the warden believes a crime is being committed, they need no permission to enter any property; they are a sworn peace officer. Laws may vary from state to state though regarding recovery and there may be some "gray" areas for interpretation of the law regarding waste of animals that could be in favor of the shooter.

4. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell no! I'm getting my deer one way or another.

Jrob140 likes this.
  5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I helped a friend of mine track a gut shot buck the other day for four hours until he got tired of looking and left. After he left I went back and searched for almost another hour walking through the thick brushy, marshy and hilly terrain we didn't search all that well the first four hours.

Didn't find the deer but I didn't call off the search, he did.

I see my prior comment was disliked, I didn't say I agreed with what the land owner did, I just stated the obvious and meant I'd stop hunting there if he was such a ****.

pick00l likes this.
  6. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa has a 'right to recover'. The definition of "trespass" does not prohibit the unarmed pursuit of game or fur bearing animals lawfully injured or killed that come to rest on, or escapes to, the property of another. Check your state hunting laws close. There may be a similar exclusion in there some where.

entropyfx likes this.
  7. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    The way I see it Old West, you've got 2 choices....

1. Try and find a way legally the land owner has to let you try and recover the buck. Although I'm certain this would be the last time you hunt on the property.

2. Let it go as hard as it is. If you wanna hunt there again you have to as much as you, and all of us, don't agree with it.

8. ruteger

ruteger Guest

You're going to be paranoid about shooting deer there from now on. Maybe burning a bridge isn't such a bad idea if you have other good land to hunt.

9. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Illinois law does not grant the right of

trespass for the purpose of retrieving wounded

or crippled wildlife or hunting dogs. Secure

permission from the landowner or tenant

before entering any property. Your conduct

while hunting and trapping can influence the

landowner’s decision to allow future hunting

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't agree with the property owner but it is his ball to take home if he wants, for those of you that don't agree and would sneak back in to search, never again question why it is so hard to get permission to hunt from landowners.

smctitan, WillO, Jason_wi and 5 others like this.
  11. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the land owners reason is that you will be tracking scent and disturbing the deer before gun season. Go back to him tell him you respect his wishes. And ask for permission to look for the deer after gun season. I don't know how long it has been since you shot the deer. You may have said and I over looked it. But if the meat is going to be bad one way or the other maybe this way you can at least get the horns. I know it still stinks that you lost the meat and cape. But when you have done all you can do then its all you can do. And we can't beat ourselves up as hunters if with have tried our best to recover a animal and still lose it. Hope this helps and hope you find away to get your animal.

snuff likes this.
  12. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that really stinks... and so sorry for you not being able to keep looking (know in your heart though you did everything you possibility could, and this is 1 of those times where it’s out of your control).

What I wouldn’t do though is go back in there without his sayin yes, nothing good ever comes from doing wrong imho and even more so when you know that wouldn’t be right.

What I would do, is if you already haven’t, call him or speak to him in person and explain the situation that you are a ethical hunter and regardless it is fitting and the right thing to do for the sake of the animal and just for righteous sake to keep looking. Also, and this might be hard, but I’d find somewhere else to hunt the rest of this season and going forward. I can’t speak for you but I know personally I couldn’t and wouldn’t hunt with or on someone’s property who doesn’t hold the value of retrieving game after it is shot, personally I know that in Maryland and Pa it is against the law not to afford ever effort to retrieve game on Public or Private Land.

Man I pray and hope everything works out for you in this situation.. again keep your head up and sleep at peace knowing you did all you could do.

78littlered likes this.
  13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure there's also a law about wasting a harvested animal? Like shooting it and throwing it in a ditch. Would think this would be close to crossing into that type of legislation. Permission to be on the land is alreasy established. The owner didn't really revoke permission, just denied the op to look for animal. Unless missed something sounds like still has permission to be there.

ruteger likes this.
  14. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't is the key word there that revokes all permission

15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Took that as can't look not can't hunt anymore, so idk on that part. Either way there's still a law about wasting wild game here and would think this situation would come close to crossing the line on that depending on GW. Looking for less than a hour and then saying don't wanna mess up hunting for the weekend isn't much of a effort on land owner's part.

Idk either way pretty **** move and friend or not I'd be somewhere else next year. Especially if money is involved to hunt there.

ruteger likes this.
  16. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you that the land owner is being a Richard but he does have the right to call it. As for the wasted meat angle there is something in that law that states "reasonable" effort to locate animal. Some people reasonable is 10 minutes while others it's days so legally there isn't much a warden can do other then put pressure on the owner to let him in.

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    That's why mentioned depending on the warden and the screwing up shotgun season looking excuse. Basically one word against the other.

But who knows screwed up situation all around, and by now probably best to chaulk up as a loss. Glad I dont haveta worry much bout neighbors, the person that actually owns the land anyway.

18. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting discussion here guys.
    Always 2 sides of a story:usa:

How many here posting on this thread own land? Guessing few?
    I'll throw my view in for a new perspective.
    I have a meager 33 acres mof River bottom.
    Have spent many 100,s of hard hours logging,planting foodplots,setting stands,ect.
    Along with a pile of money to make it the best piece of habitat within MILES!!
    I am poor ($). Wise but I love to do it and sacrifice many things do do what I love.
    Being it's a river bottom, there is a wooded point that is about 12 acres that is designated an OFF limits bedding sanctuary!
    I violate that to shed hunt in the spring and that's it!
    It literally makes me sick to have to trail my own deer in there!
    I'm in an extremely hard pressured area with VERY FEW areas hunters don't push the **** out of.
    Ok, that being said, I DO let a few hunt and they always do quite well! However, those that do get to hunt must do so away from the sanctuary for the sole purpose as I don't want them trailing a deer back there.
    There is a boundry that is off limits. Deer makes it that far ( before) I fill my tag, oh well:(
    I work too hard and spend way to much time/$ to wreak what I've waited for ALL year!
    So... , I'll keep doing what I'm doing or just deny anyone from hunting.
    My guess is most posting here would not let anyone hunt on such a small piece!
    Have plenty of people ask me " won't you be mad" if they shoot the buck your after, nope, I'll shake their hand, hug em and help drag it out!
    So, just to stay on topic of this thread, ask yourself what YOU would do if you were a landowner:wave:

19. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would let him get the deer no question about it, once the animal has been shot I believe you need to do any and everything to recover that animal or you should really re think pulling the trigger. I am a land owner of two properties and I to do not have a bunch of money but do everything I can for the land I have an animals on it. Most importantly finding them once I make the decision to shoot them. Honestly makes my stomach turn to hear someone say nope can’t go any further that’s where I hunt. Sorry rant over

20. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a land owner and am very particular about what goes on there. I got a phone call about a week ago about someone wanting to track a 6 point on my hunting property. I said yes and told him thanks for calling. I might own the land, but I sure as hell don't own the animals. Letting an animal go to waste over my perception would be wrong on about 3 or 4 levels. To each his own, especially if you own.