Ladder Stand Safety

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jake/OH, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will admit I don't tie off when climbing my ladder stands. How do you guys do it? I obviously always tie off when I get to the top.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't tie off until I'm at the top either

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X2...

4. pthomann

pthomann Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Safety Rope for Ascend/Descending Tree Stands

I doubt whether most of us use these, truthfully, getting up or down from the stands, but here is a link that shows an ascension/decension rope - these can be made very easily with some good climbing rope and using a prussic knot. The prussic is a slick little know that easily slides up/down a rope and will hold the weight of a climber when pressure is applied to it and release when the pressure subsides. You simply tie the rope at the base of your tree and again at the height you climb to and slide the prussic knot up/down as you go up/down with it. You can use a quick connect carabiner available at REI or other outdoor climbing gear stores as an attachment. I use these with my Summit Seat-o-the-Pants harness and they work great. Hope this helps!

http://www.shoposn.com/Tree-Stand-AscendDescend-Safety-Line-_p_29.html

5. bowhunter25

bowhunter25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I never tie up until at the top. Its too hard while ur climbing so I just climb very cautious then tie up at the top. Not the safest but we only have one hang on at about 26' the rest we have trees marked off for climbers so not much of an issue for me. I would like to tie up while climbing but too much work.

6. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dont wear one :(

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't tie off until I get to the top either. Then again, I don't tie off when I climb my ladder around the house. I do however tie off most the time climbing using sticks. Not that I don't trust them, I just think there is more room for error.

8. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have never tied off while climbing, a lot of work i would think to do so. i like that trick with the prussic knot. will probably get that set up for next year.

9. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the opportunity to hunt a lease which my buddy is on over on the Eastern shore of MD the weekend before Thanksgiving and it was my first time ever using a lock-on stand. I had only ever used one of my climbers because I like to stay mobile. I have to say, the first night climbing up to one was a little shaky once it was time to get up into the stand. The second morning he put me in a spot that was 26' ft up and had one of the "lifelines" mentioned above. I'm going to invest in a couple lock-ons for my lease next season and will use a lifeline in both trees. The extra confidence is great and I'd consider it mandatory for all of my future stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DoeDropper

DoeDropper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely ever wear my harness because I haven't gotten around to buying one that fits me since I'm only 5'7 and the ones that come with the stands I have are all huge on me

11. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I climb & then harness up. The rope you guys are talking about is the safety line all the way up the tree. I have these in my lock on stands with steps but i cannot figure out how you would do it with a ladder. The safety line is strapped taught from the top to the bottom with no slack. Yes then you clip in and "push" the prussic up and down as you climb. The problem with a ladder is that there is not enough slack because the bottom of the ladder is offset a ways from the bottom of the tree. With the steps you are already next to the tree which is no problem. The problem is with the bottom of the ladder stands so far from the tree how do you hook in for the climb.

12. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The lifeline is secured to the tree at about the same height as you would put your tree strap. From there it hangs down to the bottom of the tree or tied to the bottom of the ladder. Im not sure I understand how it would be any different on a ladder stand. The important part is that it's secured to the tree. Doesn't really matter how or where it's tied to the bottom whether is against the tree or on the bottom of your ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. BowTechnicianforChrist

BowTechnicianforChrist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Base: The Dirty South, Do-Boy: Anywhere they drag
    I use a tree climbers rope and belt while climbing, a harness hooked once set. It's weird that safety has only become an issue to most in the last 10 years, I used to just use a home made belt/rope harness, never felt safe 20ft off the ground without something to break my fall. Since I don't own a bounce house, I always figured out a way.

With the belt and rope (now mass produced, and can be found in camo) the rope is loose as you climb, however the rope will catch and hold if you fall while climbing. For a harness, nothing beats HSS.

Works well with my stands, I use a Loggy and an Equalizer, depending on how deep I want to go and how much weight I feel like carrying. Rambling.......

IMHO. God Bless.

14. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With a ladder stand I don't tie off on my climb up but I always keep 3 points of contact on the ladder.

15. BlondeBomber

BlondeBomber Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2. No harness when I'm in a ladder stand. My stand is bolted to the tree with 3" heat treated bolts and has 2 snug rachet straps and a lock, I don't think it's going anywhere. I admit that I went a little overboard but I'm not a huge fan of heights.