Ladder/buddy stand height for bow hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JHasty, May 14, 2018.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I have been thinking of trying to bow hunt out of a ladder/buddy stand this year. I have mainly hunted out of a lock on for the last 10 or so years and my climber here and there. I have heard several people say they bow hunt out of a ladder stands due to comfort and safety (Feeling more stable). My question is what's a good height when using a ladder stand to bow hunt. I live and hunt in Georgia and most of the trees I hunt out of don't have limbs and leaves until you get fairly high and I know most ladder stands are in the range of 15 to 20 feet so what are some good strategies to use for bow hunting using a ladder style stand. Should I buy one of the skirts that go around the use as cover or will being really still be good enough? What are some good ladder/buddy stands to hunt out of and what's a good height to shoot for when using a ladder style stand?

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All mine are around 15-20 feet. They are placed at an orientation to the feeders allowing the best range of motion for me as a left handed shooter.

I can recommend the rivers edge bowman.

airenlow and JHasty like this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm rather new to bowhunting. Killed my one and only bow deer out of a 16 foot ladder stand in 2016. I hunt in SC and it stays pretty green and leafy until very late season. I use a CB ladder stand as well as a couple of those cheapie ameristeps from Wal Mart. The CB stand has a shooting rail for gun hunting and a camo skirt. IMO, anything that breaks up part or all of your body is a good thing (although the shooting rail makes seated bow shots impossible for me).

Recently my wife and I bought some plastic foliage from Hobby Lobby to fasten to the tree to break up my shoulder and head outlines a bit more. Looks like poison ivy and spanish moss.

JHasty likes this.
  4. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did actually look at the rivers edge one online so I’m glad someone suggested it. I like the idea of being able to flip the seat up so I can use the platform if I need to stand. By chance have you ever used that one WillO? Just curious as far as comfort and weight and how hard it was to get set up? Thanks for your input!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have two on my property.

I also have the hawk helium kickback, I know it’s not a ladder stand but it’s really comfortable.

I’ll be sitting in that one tomorrow morning :nana:

JHasty likes this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Needs a big set of balls to set it solo but easy with a friend.

JHasty likes this.
  8. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JHasty and w33kender like this.
  9. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few double ladders that I hunt out of. I prefer 20' and above. I really like the X-Stands. A little pricy but very nice. I have had blinds for a couple of them but they don't last and I feel like I don't need them.

JHasty likes this.