ky food plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by shawnuk2k, Jan 29, 2012.

1. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im looking to help achieve growth in size, antlers,population. even a hot spot for the season... with that said i know that clovers, chic, rapes... corn, do well.. but im wanting to start in the next couple of weeks to start prepping the sight and run a season long plot. any suggestions?

2. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am glad you have made this post. I also am from Kentucky and was going to put a post on here about which food sources would be suggested for Kentucky. I am from Southeastern Kentucky off of I-75, and have about 20 acres to work with, surrounded by woods and open land. I have cattle on my land so that knocked off Whitetail Institute which I have heard great things about.(This might be something you would like to look at). I am guessing you already have a good deer population, so do you have any reccommendations on what I might should plant to bring deer in to my area? I know there are deer around, I have seen the signs. I am also connected to a lake on the back side as well. I was thinking brassica, soybeans, corn, alfafa, and/or chic. I know Im probably not being very helpful to you and I apologize. Thank you all for your help.

3. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also from Kentucky and was going to ask for some advise on food plots. I started cleaning an area to put a food plot but it would be only about and acre or so since I don't have the equipment to make it any larger then that.

4. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have been searching on craigslist for a horse drawn disc.. finally found one down the road from my house today for $15... now im gonna start spraying if weather permits and try to rid of the weeds and saplings.... im trying to put together a mixture for spring and summer on one side and a fall winter mix on the other half.. i got about 3 acres to play with... but im thinking the plot may actually be to big.. im thinkgin some milo,corn, oats and soybeans... and then a good clover with rapes turnips and winter peas... has anyone heard of arrowhead clover?

5. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    buck just stick with it and do some research... start with a good mineral lick and figure out what ur land has to offer and then try to figure out what u might want to add to help promote growth and size

6. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will do, appreciate the help. Best of luck to you as well.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you truly feel it's too open or too large, it is. Deer like to use fields (atleast during shootable times) that feel secure and they know cover isn't too far away. You use winding plots or utilize planting bushes or a sight barrier like Egyptian Wheat, forage sorghum or even corn in the plot itself you can creat the secure feeling. Just don't overlook thickening up the edges of the plots! This can help the deer feel secure but it also allows you to create the more likely used entrances and exits.

8. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so would it be wise to plant corn/milo/soy beans on that outside of the plot and plant clover/rape/turnips in between? im still trying to figure out a good mixture.. i went out today and placed mineral licks by using record rack mineral. and put out a protein block through the winter.." mild one at that". my throw and grow form my other plot in the middle of woods with canopy is starting to come back......

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    planting corn/milo (soybeans too short unless using the lesser preferred but taller growing forage ones) around the edges works great unless it's a smaller foodplot (1/4acre or smaller). You'll never hear me say planting various things is a bad idea, helps the deer have choices, they have choices they'll more than likely use a couple of them.