Killing multiple bucks out of the same tree...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by quiksilver, Nov 2, 2011.

?

Have you shot multiple bucks out of the same tree?

1. I've shot 2+ bucks out of the same tree with my bow.

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. I've never shot 2 bucks out of the same tree.

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. This poll is stupid. I refuse to vote.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. I'm a badass, and I shoot giant deer everywhere I go.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I've shot a lot of bucks with my bow. Can you believe that I have NEVER shot two bucks out of the same tree?

Lots of guys have that "lucky tree" that's just a reliable producer. I've never found that tree.

Maybe it's b/c I don't really get to do much rut or field corner hunting. . . Maybe it's because I bounce around like my ass is on fire. . .

Weird.

Do any of you guys have a similar track record?

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I voted for being a bad ass just becuase I have never been able to! LOL! Yes, 2+ deer out of the same tree for me.

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One tree 10 years ago, on a nearby public land yielded an 8 pointer for me, and a 10 pointer for my dad in a span of 3 days. A year later, I killed another 8 from here.

From '07-'09, I could of killed 3 P&Y bucks, if I hadn't sucked so bad. I missed a 140's 10 in '07, shot (but never recovered) a 125ish 8 in '08, and in '09 I killed a 155...all from the same tree.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot all but one deer out of the same 4 trees. I almost pulled off the unheard of last season. I almost shot a buck from the same tree as the year before on the same day within 2 minutes of the same time with the deer standing in the same spot. Blew the shot, however...and it was a piebald.

I would trade that stupid statistic for the bucks you've killed, Fran.:D

5. Jordan Sinnott

Jordan Sinnott Newb

Dislikes Received:
    5 years ago me and my dad set up a new tree stand for me. shotgun season that year I had to go to school (it was my turn), my brother sat in my tree. Killed his first buck about 8:45, a nice 9. Missed the first shot, dropped it in its tracks the next shot. Him and my dad gutted it 10 yards from the stand, then brought it home. My brother went to school and my dad went back out. He sat in my stand again, and killed an 8 pointer at 11 am. So my stand killed two deer in one day, I could have shot a 6 pointer during the 2nd season (but had a gun malfunction, I was 16) and saw multiple other young bucks while bow hunting the same tree that year... I miss that stand.

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2+ and I'm a bad ass I want to vote twice ! :D

7. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fran

What is this tree thingy you speak of ?? :confused:

Tim

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not with a bow, as I've only killed one deer with a bow to date (this past weekend). But I have shot multiple deer out of the same tree with a gun, on different days/different years.

9. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I picked this poll is stupid cause I could find the choice of... this post is gay. Hunting out of trees is so :dan: . :p

Tim

10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed 2 very nice 8 pointers out of the same tree, and they were standing in the same spot when they met their demise :)

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My go to spot now is a tiny 30 acre private track, with more like 15 acres actually hunt able. To add to this, 10 of those 15 are grown up thicket areas. The remaining 5 acres that even has trees, is mostly a thicket of large cedars. I have MAYBE 20 trees total to choose from on this property that are suitable for a stand.

I killed both this year and last years buck from the same stand, never even took it down actually. I get mainly NW winds at this place, so I can't hunt the side of the property that I'd really like to unless we get that rare E wind or maybe a straight N wind. I'll likely be stuck in this same tree next year waiting for a big guy. Tough situation to be in with such a terrible stand sight huh?!

LOL to quit rambling, I have killed 2 bucks from the same tree, and likely will end up with 4-5 bucks from this spot before it is all said and done, but it's only because it's the only freakin tree I can hunt from, haha. I'd kill for the property to lay exactly opposite as it does, I could have set up on a SLAMMER buck this year, but I instead was waiting for the rut for him to start venturing out more when my mid teens 8 pointer wondered in and was too tempting.

12. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a stand in a travel corridor that has yielded a lot of good deer. It's only about 10 feet off the ground but it overlooks a valley. The corridor is a thin patch of timber that goes across the middle of a big patch of pasture. It's been there for about 6 years now and so far it's yielded a 190" buck, a 170", a 150", and multiple does. If all goes as planned I hope to add a 140"er to it this weekend. Those include both gun and archery kills though. I'd say it's fine where it's at right now haha.

13. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a tree (Honey Hole) that 30 plus years of hunting said ground has put me in. I've personally taken 3 bucks and put friends on another 2 bucks out of the same tree. It's in a natural funnel/travel corridor overlooking a CRP field next to crop fields. It's the reason I put a food plot in where it is... down the field 200 yards at the other end of the funnel is a tree (Pin Oak) I've take a few bucks out of and the infamous PT vs Mr 7 miss... I've also witness some real shooters standing or passing next to my "honey hole" tree while sitting at the other end "Pin Oak" stand.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bow no, Gun yes.

15. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had one tree I killed a buck in 5 years in a row and 6 of 7 years. Plus more does than I can count right now. In 03 I "retired" that tree, but I sometimes hunt near there still.

I have other trees that I've killed multiple does from, and a couple other areas where I killed bucks within yards of each other but I was in different trees.

16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I messed up two shots in consecutive years on two different bucks from the same tree. Each should be dead. One I'm sure is, the other I'll never know.

I can totally see both angles. Rob's plot, he's gonna shoot more bucks out of that tree. I know another tree down there that could be a multiple killer too. They're just the "right" tree for that spot.

On the flip, if you're hunting timber and you are chasing MRI (most recent info) you simply can't hunt the same tree and expect results.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This was the first year I harvested a buck not out of the exact same tree :D

18. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I will be technical on wording. I have not shot two deer, let alone bucks, from the same tree with my bow.

the next option is "I've never shot 2 bucks out of the same tree", I can't check that box b/c it is not worded specificaly for bow. (I know that is implied on a bow hunting forum) I shot 2 bucks from the same tree, on the same trail, with my smoke poll two days apart.

I am NOT "I'm a badass, and I shoot giant deer everywhere I go". I might be a badass, just not they way this is refering to. My bigest kill was a 112# dressed 6 point w/ the smoke poll. bigest archery buck was 110# dressed 6 point and i wasn't in a tree for him.

I do not think this is a stupid question, quite interesting and all the stories it brings with it.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot multiple deer out of the same tree, but never mutliple "good bucks". I did shoot my first two bucks from the same tree, but they were both 1 1/2 year old deer and it was the only stand I ever hunted, so it doesn't really count. Heck, I've rarely shot multiple bucks on the same property, let alone the same tree.

20. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    We have a spot in Wisconsin called the "Hill-Top" where I shot my buck last year. Its pretty consistent year after year; so as long as you count a big 10 and a basket 8 as "good" bucks... then yes I've shot two bucks from the same tree. :woot:

IMO there is something about new trees and new spots - I like the feeling of literally not knowing which way to look, or expect deer from.

:deer: