Killing deer where you want

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pick00l, Sep 15, 2016.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else feels the same way I do, SOMETIMES.

The last few years I have hunted very hard. Lots of time in the woods, in before light, full days when I can get that much time, etc. I hunt the big woods of PA, there are not a lot of deer but, some big boys and that makes it so much fun. It is challenging and I like that part of hunting in my area.

There are places I scout and love in the woods. Tall pines, swamps, thickets, hardwoods, etc. In each section of the woods I find areas that I truly love. So, I scout the signs and plan the hunts. This is where it can get tricky. I don't just want to kill a big buck, I want to kill a big buck in the tree of my choice at the area of my choice again, based on signs and such. Of course I am a bit flexible...does not have to be one particular tree compared to another one 30 yards away might be best and I make those adjustments. I just mean, I picture and plan for something...and I like to see if the deer and myself can make it all happen.

If I wanted to just kill any buck or doe, I believe I could plan and hunt much differently. Does anyone else feel this way?

I do not think it limits me and my choices. In fact, I think it is the opposite. I believe it allows me to really search for the best places to hunt (That I like the look of), then hone in on the best trees, runs, signs in that given area....and I do that for each area I really love hunting. As an example, the public land I hunt, I choose to spend less than 5% of my hunting time in the first 1/2 mile from the road. Why? Well...just because I don't want to shoot a buck from there. I rather shoot one further in where I like the looks of the woods more. Are there buck in the first 1/2 mile...you bet and nice ones at that. Someone else can target them.

Am I crazy or does any of this make sense? I'm OK either way!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a food plot in a place where every condition was calculated it sits in a bowl with topography to give deer confidence in coming during daylight, second was trimming trees up and leaving brush in all the right areas, the big part is a lack of pressure. I hunt a small piece of land and if you get busted by an old nanny doe it is game over that old nag will hunt you once she figures out where you sit and will snort and stomp at the least sign you are there. I wait till primetime to minimize the chances of getting busted before and educating the does. Anybody can spend the time to pattern a deer and figure out where they go the real mastery is when you get the deer to come to you. I love sitting in my stand with 15 live bait does and fawns in front of me the first week of November.

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you 100%. It's all about the journey along with the kill. Heck I could probably have the same odds sitting on the roof of my Tahoe but I prefer the stand I usually have to wade through water to get to. I think what you have is a condition called confidence. It's when someone knows what's best and is determined to prove it. I feel you brother

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting isn't just about killing. There are a lot more important parts to the story.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As I crawled up on top of a grain bin last evening to shut the lid, I watched a good two dozen deer walking around on three sides. I decided that I like the challenge of climbing that bin ladder and enjoying the view from the top so I think I will hunt from it from now on. :lol:

6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To some it is all about killing and I'm OK with that. At this point in my hunting and even fishing travels, I want them on my terms. Of course...I will take advantage of a dumb buck, 100 yards from the car, while walking into my stand.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I purchased my land I could of bought land in a higher deer density area with more Ag. I chose the land I did because its so quiet out there in the big woods. I look at pictures of most people's properties and I ask myself where all the trees are.

Different strokes for different folks.

By me its a good day if you see a deer. And I'm just fine with that. Even if Sota and Lester pick on me and hurt my feelings.

Its not for everyone for sure.