Killing A Buck Between 10/1 and 10/20. In the Morning.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. bassmasterjk

bassmasterjk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I've killed two mature bucks during that time frame. Both were 150" class bucks. Both close to bedding, positioned directly on bed edge. I was within 50 yards of one of the bucks bed for sure, the other was likely a similar distance, definitely within 100yds. One was on October 11, at 815am and other October 19, at 930am ish. Both post frontal conditions, within 24hours of front. I'm convinced I can be more consistent hunting October morning bedding than evening food. My food plots don't seem to be consistent for 4 year old's, they seem to browse around much more, on acorns, honeysuckle, green browse and sometimes my green food plots whenever they wonder through. But, the doe families and 2-3 year old's, are consistently out in the evening green plots. I've been on that morning October sit for several few years now, the details matter (obviously details always matter) more for these type of hunts. Can easily mess up a lot during this time, but its worth the effort if not..

2. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On the most recent podcast Dan was talking about how he’s targeting one specific buck and he’s got him on a patter. He’s going to be sneaking in on a morning when it’s absolutely perfect with a cold front and wind to try and kill it.

If I have the right wind and weather I will absolutely hunt a morning tight to the bedding area if I can slip in quietly without busting any deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This brought me good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It was all you!!

virginiashadow likes this.
  5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got my little brick this morning, doesnt really apply i know, but i do have several pictures of a buck coming through in the mornings. He's not the big dog in the area though, i think what happened is when the bachelor group got broke up he got pushed from the best area l. The area he's coming and going to is usually a doe bedding area

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. JoshKeller

JoshKeller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    last year, 0ct 1, 2017 killed a 5.5 year old 10 point at 7:30 am. real foggy morning, he was late going back to his bed. cold front had gone through the day before. scored 159 1/8.

2014 killed a 127" 3.5 year old 8 point on oct 2nd. same stand as the deer above, he came through at 8 am and had soybean plants wrapped in hit antlers, and one in his mouth when I shot - and we are 1/2 mile away from the beans.

oct 5 2011 killed a 4.5 year old gnary 6 point from the same stand that came through at first light.

The property I hunt tends to produce some pretty big bucks the first week of october, as the deer are still hitting the soybeans and passing through to the bedding area behind us and not yet on a nocturnal pattern due to pressure. For the most part, they travel with other bucks until approx oct 20, then split up and get after the does.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018