Kill Plot Woes

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Bucka, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Weeds were pretty heavy but killed dead, dead, dead. Pulled a weighted chisel tooth around, then waited for weeds to re-emerge. After 2-3 weeks, a few little ones popped...hit them again with roundup. Planted Winter Peas (WTI) a week later (like 4 weeks ago). Though we’re in a pretty bad drought here in WI, being right behind the house I can run a sprinkler down there. Watered damn near every night for an hour. Peas can in very slow BUT...started seeing a green “haze” right under the sprinkler. Weeds. The bastards waited for water I guess. 4 weeks before the season I’m not feeling it. Maybe I’m expecting too much during a drought. Maybe I should have watered the weeds first. So...I suppose I’ll just leave it, hoping the peas bring something it and start over next year. Ideas anyone?! Here’s the pic of the SOBs. Same crap messed with me last season too. What is this crap?! Oh and I have a couple little bucks cruising through eating on the few peas coming in. Bastards!

Attached Files:

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure of the spelling.
    Persalain?

3. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Purslane...I think you’re right. Now, it’s supposed to be edible and supposedly deer will eat it. BUT...I read if it goes to seed I’m gonna have a real mess. In the meantime, it’ll bother my peas.

4. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might be SOL this season.
    Those suckers are "survivalists". They can lay dormant for years before reemerging and then germinating.
    I think you have to essentially up root the entire area and be sure to dispose of all plant life (Purslane). They can apparently grow from any part of the plant if left behind. And the "Mother" plants can throw seeds into adjacent plots, so if their are any near by, they will keep coming back.

5. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might still have time for pre-emergent herbicides....but not sure.

6. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    WTI has no answers. I have options to kill the crap post-emergent but the peas won’t tolerate. We’ll see how well the peas outcompete the weeds I guess. In the spring I have some preemergent options, then plan to plan something roundup ready in case it shows up again. I could also roundup the whole mess right now and drop some fast growing stuff in but I’ve already invested too much time in it. I have other places to hunt; this was just really convenient.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never a loss, not what you wanted to see but it will still bring deer in. That said , your best bet is to do what I realized today I have to do. Start in spring and disc then kill. Disc,then kill right up to winter WW or WR planting. Then till that in and plant your summer plot. These grains planted thick not only smoother but they act as a pre emergent weed seed suppressor. That's one option
    Another spray in spring , disc then do a heavy planting of spring wheat. Let it grow a bit and then till it under. Put in buckwheat, which is short season crop. That also suppresses weed seed. Then you can decide depending on time what winter type plot you want. That will take way less chemicals. To kill your weed seed bank. Cost you a lot more time and money but will improve tilt and lower fertilizer needs . So those are my thoughts, not knowing what equipment you have for planting

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  8. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty of equipment...just lacking brains. I like the wheat idea. Would like to start limiting the chemicals.

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    There are several ag . Plants that can benefit your ground ,will draw in deer and Turkey,and cost you way less $$$ tha n some "hunter seeds". Not that those are bad, but they cost more and are very picky about the soil they are put in. Read up on WR,WW,Buckwheat,and mustard. Cover crops in general. Eventually you could get to a no till,system like on the whitetail solutions or Growing deer channels.

10. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry...brain shortage again...WW and WR??? Winter wheat and winter rye?

11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I mentioned mustard, which I allowed to reseed in my garden a few years...don't want to do that in a field though...it is a weed seed suppressor but also a biofumigant.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  13. Cory smith

Cory smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i just planted a fall plot in big tine buck brunch a few days ago. it says on the bag that you should plant between aug 1st and sept. 1st so if you want to attempt reworking and replanting you may have time depending on where you live. also i highly recommend getting a soil test done on where you want to put food plots because it helps know if you need to add lime or anything else to the soil to help with growth.

14. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was down there today. Interesting that the purslane is wherever there’s sun...the peas are around the edges. I could literally kill the center of the plot, till and plant something fast growing. I’ll look into that Big Tine stuff or just toss some Throw-n-Grow down; that stuff grows in damn near anything.

Cory smith likes this.
  15. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sprayed the whole plot with Roundup last night. I was tempted to leave it since some of the plot plants were coming in. But growth was sparse and more purslane sprouting. Based on what I read if it goes to seed, matters will be worse. I plan to re-plant with No-Plow in a week if the purslane looks dead. There’s some question as to whether roundup works. 2,4D does for sure but it may hang around in the soil awhile after. So...this fall is sketchy. I may drop some winter wheat down next month. I plan to use a preemergent in the spring, then seed with wheat/alfalfa to smother anything that breaks thru.

16. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OND...where are you buying your Winter Wheat???