Justice System

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tdk5525, May 26, 2011.

1. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With all the discussion on this board about criminals, I am wondering if others question the effectiveness of the our current system. Over half the criminals are repeat offenders. IMO criminals have too many rights. What do you think about corporal punishment?

2. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Being in law enforcement I belive in it if you are guilty of murder and there is NO quetion about it why pay for life in prison.. And I don't mean wait 20 years on death row either..

3. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Eye for an eye.
    You kill, you get killed. You rape, you get certain body parts removed. You steal, you get your hands cut off.

4. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was agreeing till I got to the last one. A little extream I think on that one.

5. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha yeah your're probably right. We'll just pull a fingernail out....:lol:

6. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How about every time you steal you get a finger cut off? What about caning?

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have become too reliant on "insurance" these days. We don't punish people as harshly for theft as we did in days past because the good old insurance companies will replace stolen items. People always say, "hey, don't worry about someone stealing your property, it ain't worth dying over. ". In days bygone, a horse or cattle thief was considered a major criminal. He was dealt with harshly wether it be a lynching or being outright shot on sight. There wasn't any insurance back then and people could not just passively sit around while the criminals preyed on them. They had to be real men and tough women in order to maintain order and to support their family. They couldn't rely on the government and others to replace on lost horse, frying pan, or even their favorite buck knife. Those things were extremely important to their survival. We are watered down versions of the rough and heavy handed persons that came before us in this country. If the dead could speak they would be appalled at what we tolerate in our society these days.

8. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think they ever hung a "horse thief" just because the neighbor wanted his land?

If there was a guarantee that no innocent person would ever be falsely accused then I would be fine with harsh punishments. Just recently a guy was released from jail after something like 15 years. The lady that accused him of rape was sure it was him at the time and testified on the stand, saying as much. The reason he was released was because they examined the dna evidence and found that it was another guy and not him. He was totally innocent. Imagine if they had cut his body parts off at the time he was found "guilty".

There is a reason we no longer "mob up" and dispatch "frontier justice".

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  9. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
  10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

I never said we should mob up and provide frontier justice to folks. I simply stated that certain crimes should warrant an increased level of punishment. I am fine with our current justice system and it's twists and turns. Due process rights are very important to me Bruce. What I am not fine with is some of the levels of punishment that are put down on thiefs for example.

11. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, they should go after the the people running the fairfax school system. They're the ones that are still persecuting that guy, not the little girl. She did a really bad thing but she's 12 and it's a little unfair to expect her to behave like an adult with an adult's experience and wisdom. The fairfax school board on the other hand...........

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    "Within two weeks of the accuser’s report — without ever speaking to the girl — Fairfax detectives arrested Lanigan and charged him with aggravated sexual battery abduction"

UNREAL

"In addition, they released this statement from Officer Don Gotthardt, a spokesman: “There is a system of checks and balances between the police department, the commonwealth attorney and the magistrate. That system was followed, and it was determined that sufficient probable cause existed to proceed with prosecution.”

Did that system of checks and balances include talking with the ONLY witness and accuser? NO.

"Several witnesses said the tumbling mats couldn’t even fit in the equipment room, but there is no indication in reports or trial testimony that Fairfax police ever checked."

"The accuser told her parents that she had been molested by her PE teacher, records show. Her arents contacted James Baldwin, who was Centre Ridge’s principal, the next day and he promptly called police. The case was assigned to Christian.(principal)

But Christian did not meet with the accuser or her parents. "

DUMB principal.

"Despite the acquittal, the district began an internal reprimand process. And in December, as Lanigan pushed to have his legal fees reimbursed, the district presented him with two pages of specially tailored “guidelines and expectations.”

Huh?

"In March, the school district offered to pay $60,000 of Lanigan’s fees, less than half, if he would waive any future legal claims. And last month, he was “de-staffed” from South Lakes, meaning that he must apply for a job at other schools in the district"

Unbelievable. They should pay him the remaing $65,000 plus interest.

1) Those detectives should be demoted unless they were following their internal policies to the "T". Now if they were not following their internal policies to a T and chose to not follow them...then they should be fired.

2) The principal should be demoted/fired.

3) The school system should be forced to pay for all legal fees and if they withhold and create more undue hardship, the Fairfax County School System should be sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars and possibly more.

4) A potential lawsuit should stem from the lack of protocol followed in this case, the reassignment of an acquitted employee, and the continued harassment of this gentlemen by the school system. He did NOTHING wrong.

Last edited: May 28, 2011