Just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Dec 15, 2021.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    Not on here as much as I use to but wanted to share my 2021 season. Things FINALLY came together for me. It was very unexpected. If you bow hunt long enough you know things usually happen when you least expect it. I'm 39 yrs. old and I definitely have had my share of bad luck over my younger years and missing out on some really nice bucks. When it happens multiple times, you learn from them in the long run, but they really take a toll on you inside. Makes you think to yourself. Can I really do this or what the hell am I doing wrong Haha. True bow hunters know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've taken other deer before, small 8's, etc. 2 years ago, I took a small 1 Horner from the ground... A meat deer per say. Had a good 15 yard shot and I blew it by rushing the shot and hit liver and the deer took 2+ hours to die. I've lost other deer and gotten deer just like most.

This year I stuck with things. Changed my arrow setup to a heavier FOC arrow and also went back to fixed blades. Been wanting to shoot the Slick Trick Viper Tricks for a few years so I finally got myself setup.

Leading into the season, I was ready. Just hunted some of my usual public spots and also 2 other new areas. I was seeing deer. Things were going well. One of my better spots from years past I had a Reveal X in there all summer. Typically hunt this spot more during the rut. However, hunting pressure is really starting to skyrocket at this place. Sometimes there are 3-4 vehicles. I stayed out and had 2 decent bucks on camera from back in July, but they never showed up anymore. In my head, I know the camera is only covering a small spot. So, I knew he could just be walking on the opposite side or using a different trail etc.

Well, it was the night before Halloween, and I love hunting Halloween as I've always seemed to have good hunts so I was looking forward to going out. That night I was going to hunt this spot by our cabin, but I kept pondering going to this other spot with my dad and well I decided to go with him and split up. I basically snuck in the back side of the spot where my Cell cam was. Sitting about 30-40 yards up hill from where my camera is pointing. I sat that evening hunt and didn't see anything. The next morning came, and I got in my stand before 7am (Shooting light was 7:04am) I remember sitting in the tree in the dark and looking at my phone setting my fantasy football roster. The wind had a good breeze to it as it started to get light. I put my phone in my pocket and I remember looking up and a good buck was standing there about 25 yards smelling the air. I knew right away he was a shooter even though everything was still grey out. I couldn't move, my bow was in my 3rd hand archery holder at my side. Every time I saw him move or put his head down, I'd slowly reach for my bow. It was a cat and mouse type game until I got my bow in hand and release clipped. At this point i'm still sitting though. He was on the trail that walks like 5 yards from me. I knew from the night before that this wasn't the best tree for this spot. I knew in my head that if he gets to X spot he is going to bust me. He started walking and at about 10 yds out there was this really big oak right where the trail turns and comes at me head on. Well I lucked out and he got right behind the tree. That was my chance to stand and draw at the same time.

At this point I'm standing and holding full draw and laughing to myself. " I can't hold my bow forever" He better do something. He stopped and froze. He knew something was up. What seemed like a minute was probably 15 seconds. He jumped and bounded about 5-6 yards back to where he was standing and stopped broadside. Here is my shot, It was literally like shooting trap with the shotgun, I swung with him and remember seeing that Vital V you always read about through my Peep sight. His shoulder outline. I put the pin in the V and touched it off. SMACK!

He bolted about 20 yards and stopped for a couple seconds and then bolted. I'm like ummmm... I literally didn't know if I should be excited or upset. I was confident I hit him but where was unknown. I was calm and didnt really know what to think. Little shakes from buck fever but I was controlling it. I texted my dad and made him aware. I climbed down shortly after and found the back end of my arrow busted off and no blood for about 20-30 yards. I was literally getting sick to my stomach. I backed out and met my dad. We waited a couple hours and then came back in. My dad found the broadhead part of the arrow laying in the same area I found the other half. However, the middle section of the arrow was gone. Thinking both shoulders busted each half off and the middle section was in him. But very little blood on either half of the arrow. I wanted to puke. We started looking for blood and walking up each trail in the thick crap. Until we hit one of the last trails 15 minutes later and finally found a good pile of blood with good bubbles. I had some relief finally. We followed the trail and the blood got better and better for about 40 yards. He started spraying out everywhere. Now I'm jacked. Went a total of maybe 75 yards tops and he was laying there. Perfect double lung shot. FINALLY, I DID IT!

Years of failing on good bucks and all the little screw ups finally came together. I honestly cannot wait until next season. I feel all the screw ups is what really teaches you. I know now that I can do it. It honestly feels like it gets easier to do it as well. I used to have deer come in and my arrow would be bouncing because I'd be shaking from buck fever so much. I love it, but I can control it now.

17" inside spread. 9.5-inch G2's

Didn't even recognize it was the buck I wanted from back in July on my cell cam until the next day. Just had to type this out all out to share. If you're in my boat and are frustrated with your success. Just remember, hard work and a little luck pays off. I almost didn't go to this spot as I was going to hunt it hard during rut in the coming weeks. So glad I went and got me a Halloween morning buck. Go with your gut instinct. Be in the woods. Be quiet. And don't forget to practice shooting your bow. It will happen. Might be a few years but it will happen, and when it does, You have got to be ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good job sir. Nice deer. now just enjoy that memory and hunt with satisfaction.

kurveball18 likes this.
  3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's an awesome buck and a great story. I'm glad you stuck with it. Just remember, every time out is a learning experience. And I hope you never get over "the shakes!"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kurveball18 and picman like this.
  4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you and a great buck. Congrats. Thanks for sharing.

kurveball18 likes this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was a great story.
    Nice buck. Congratulations.

kurveball18 likes this.
  6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dude... by the looks of that hole... you ten ringed him! Thats awesome right there. Congrats on a beautiful deer.

kurveball18 likes this.
  7. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice buck, man!

kurveball18 likes this.
  8. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story. Was almost like being right there with ya...HAHA
    Congrats

kurveball18 likes this.
  9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

That's a nice buck!

kurveball18 likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and a great buck. Congrats! The harder you work for it, the sweeter it is when everything comes together.

MUDSHARK and kurveball18 like this.
  11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thats a keeper .. congrats

kurveball18 likes this.
  12. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. Nice deer. Way to hang in there

kurveball18 likes this.
  13. UnstoppaNole99

UnstoppaNole99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the write up , and congratulations on it all coming together for you! That's an awesome buck, andI am stoked you stayed with it.

I am in same boat and have had some surgeries and not gotten to hunt as often as I would like. I was thinking about taking the shotgun out, but after your experience, I think I will take the bow out tomorrow!

Wish me luck gentlemen, and congratulations again on that wall hanger! The reward does off, just have to be persistent and in the woods!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

kurveball18 and Shocker99 like this.
  14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! Im in a little rut myself. Let some great deer pass for a couple years then all the sudden last 4-5 seasons ive been all over good bucks but cant manage to have the luck part go my way. Very frustrating and humbling at the same time but ive been in this game long enough to know dry spells will end if you want them to. Again great job. Hope you have a good spot on the wall for that mature beast :tu:

kurveball18 likes this.
  15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!! Hope to see a write up from you as well! :)

kurveball18 likes this.
  16. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That my friend is an awesome buck, job well done sir

kurveball18 likes this.
  17. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. Definitely feels good to make a good shot. I definitely learned a bunch from getting this deer as well. Why he was where he was. Type of cover he used. Other hunting pressure. All things that I can use for other spots I hunt.

Going to go get the antlers this weekend. My grandpa put them on a nice plaque for me with buckskin leather. Couldn't afford a full shoulder mount right now but it's ok

Shocker99 likes this.
  18. Vols5151

Vols5151 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    kurveball18 likes this.
  19. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Congrats!

kurveball18 likes this.
  20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck! It's great when your natural instincts kick in and you make a great shot, all while under pressure. Congratulations on a great season!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kurveball18 likes this.