Just sharing my experience

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Dec 29, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now that the season is wrapping up I just thought i'd share my experience. I'm usually pretty hesitant to put any scent in the woods. I'm very very carefully to keep myself and hunting clothes scent free with totes and bags ect. Well this year I decided to try out the Conquest Scents Evercalm.

I'll will come out and say it, this stuff flat out works. I didn't harvest a deer this year but I could have multiple of times. I had sits where I was seeing 8, 10, 11, and 12 deer a sit sometimes. I had deer come in closer just to lick the tree I put it on or follow my trail in.

Typically what I did was when I got to about 60-80 yards from my tree I rubbed it on the bottom/sides of my boot and then walked to my tree. I occasionally do a quick swipe on 2-3 trees within 20 yards of my tree.

Has anyone else used it this year and experienced the same thing? Definitely was a fun year this year for me. I just kept waiting for a more mature deer.

2. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. Second year using it. I have had doe sniff and rub the same branches I put it on. I also put it on my boots like you do. In addition, many times when I am in my stand, I leave the cap off and just let a quarter inch exposed to the air.

Not had any real success with the rut scent however, I keep using both and will do it again next year.

I feel it is a good value and good performance. If I only purchased the bedding scent...I would say it was a great value!

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try it next year.
    Have a buddy who uses it and he was successful and swears by it.

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using it for two years now and it definitely works. I have had deer licking where I put it on trees and branches.

5. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have trail cam pics of deer sniffing and one bedding where I rubbed this on a tree.
    My bow season sucked because I only got out a couple times and only saw 1 spike, but I'll keep using this when hunting.

6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I was telling my dad that I swear by it. I had times where I had deer come in somewhat on alert and they calmed right down and stuck around for awhile. If i was a betting man, I swear a few of these instances the deer stayed around alot longer because of using it. Its just a shame that I didnt have a mature buck come by with all the does I kept seeing. I was beginning to think something was wrong.

7. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a stick that I've used twice. Both times, I was blown at. Those are the only times this year that I had deer blow at me.

I guess deer are different in different areas. I'm going back to not using any scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could just be coincidence, but everyone talking about the deer licking the trees and following the scent seem to be talking about immature deer. At least what I'm reading. Has anyone seen a real mature buck reacting to this scent? Just curious. Immature deer are alot less cautious than big mature bucks.

9. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first year using it and did not have a 3.5 +yr old come in. I did however have some really nice mature does come in and stick around. I think the reason I kept using it is because it was keeping some does by me, thinking that if i have the does by me, the bucks have got to show up at some point. I did see some different bucks, one being a 2.5 yr old 8point, but never got a shot on him. All the other bucks were smaller. I dont think its meant as an attractant to bring deer in. Its used more of a "calming" or cover scent. It seemed to put them at ease and keep them around alot longer or got them curious to come in closer.

I definately get what you saying. I'm the same way as you when it comes to scent and have almost always preferred to have no scent at all. I'll test it out some more next year to really get a good feel for it.

10. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Ok that's what I was wondering. Sounds like a good strategy though keeping the does around. I may look into this stuff. I try to be scent free but it's so hard and time consuming and tedious. With little ones pulling on your pant legs when you get home it's hard to finish all the leg work that's entailed in storing/washing/airing out. Anyway what I'm getting at is I think a little cover scent to cover my gaps in scent control is better than them smelling me.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is no miracle product that makes you invisible to a deers nose, also no miracle product that will make a deer ignore the fact that it smells a human. Some younger deer are more tolorant or dumber but if your goal is mature deer no product is going to be a shortcut to success.

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    So all those "mature" does that I had come into 15 yards this yards this year? I had 2 does in particular that were over 160 pounds and you could tell they were over 4+ yrs old.

Granted I agree with you to an extent. There is no miracle product and I have pretty much given up and don't use doe estrus or anything like that during the rut. I just have never seen it bring deer in other than a few small nubbies. I know what you mean and for the most part agree, just for some reason this product seemed to have the most positive effect out of some of the other products I have tried.

13. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    So if I'm going in to hunt and there might have been a gap in my scent control, do you think nothing is better than using something else to distract their nose? Like I said I know on mature bucks it's alot less likely but just wondering if it's better than nothing. And again I know scent free is best

14. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I think what It really comes down to is that every single deer is different. If a deer doesn't like something and runs away, the very next deer might like it and come check it out. All deer have different personalities and curiosities just like us humans. If that makes sense.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can't distract a deers nose, but if it gives you confidence as a hunter go for it.

16. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just picking your brain. I do agree for the most part. I'm still trying to sort out where I stand on all of this scent control stuff. I just get frustrated with the struggle of being %99 scent free. I mean I've driven out to hunt and then started second guessing whether I should even go out cause I didn't have time to hang my stuff out to air from yesterday or my boots ended up in the garage with the gas cans and I forgot to set them outside and spray them down.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I won't hunt without showering first. The whole scent reduction process gets old for me I feel like a woman it takes me over an hour to get ready to go out.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say pretreating my gear and camo with ozone has made the process easier.

19. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Sota on fooling a deer's nose. Can't be done. My Dad and I have both used Evercalm and that VS-1 when they were new to the market. This year I have finally accepted the reality that scent products rarely work and some do not work at all and many times work against you. I totally kicked the habit and the false hope that it might just work this time thanks in part to Virginia outlawing deer urine this year.

20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I do lean more towards this side of the topic. But I have had great reactions with mature deer by using fresh local urine. I know the guy running the farm and I've gotten to see him collect it, bottle it and put it in my hand to be used the next day. The stuff is unlike anything from a store shelf. Especially the estrous. I know the urine is a touchy subject as well but I think if used correctly and not over used it can be effective. I've seen it