Just let me vent....

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by .09 Outdooors, Oct 16, 2014.

1. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's really annoying when people non-stop blow up your phone and every form of social media you have asking when your gonna take them to your lease/waterfowl properties...It's hard enough getting these places with people you can trust (as seen in my other threads), I'm not bringing someone I barley know hunting with me just because you see me posting pictures of stuff I shot on social media. I might sound like a **** but it's the truth and I feel like most people feel that way at one point or another... If I like you and want you in the duck blind/Tree stand with me I'll invite you. If I don't invite you don't ask me every other day when we are going...Rant over

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    Couldn't agree more. I don't have people burning my stuff out asking but it's obvious that when I start sharing pics with close friends and family that they are thinking (and usually hinting strongly) for me to get them permission to hunt land I manage. I've gotten to where I keep most pics to myself and even when asked about local deer I keep pretty downbeat and quiet. I couldn't get permission to take anyone else with me even if I wanted to and no one ever EVER invites me to go with them on their property. I'd take my brother in law if I could get him permission but even he never invites me and he has deer hanging on the wall also.
    Now to be fair, I'm sure most around me are thinking with the numbers and quality of deer I can hunt, why would I even want to be invited to go elsewhere. Well, if they're going to think I should invite them then fair is fair....it'd be nice if they at least offered an invitation if they are going to keep hinting for me to invite them on my places.

3. .09 Outdooors

Dislikes Received:
    A FREAKING MEN....Then when I do finally bring someone with me....That favor never gets returned...

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never had that problem. I offer invites to friends to bowhunt or waterfowl hunt and I always get invites in return. Find new friends!

5. .09 Outdooors

Dislikes Received:
    Can we be friends?

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends. Will I get an invite back?

7. .09 Outdooors

Dislikes Received:
    You like wood ducks :nana:

8. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ohhh...wood ducks. I wondered about why only 18 woodies :tu:

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. My problem is I have guys say they want to hunt or learn how to shoot a bow and I offer to help. When the time comes, they are too busy or they have something going on. Several years back, one guy bugged me for months to go. Says he is a deer hunter. Said he shot a buck from 900 yards with his 30-06. He said he hit him exactly where he placed the Crosshairs. I laughed and he got burning mad. He said he know what happened. I do too. (Bullet Drop is probably more 5 feet at that distance), After bugging me for months, I took him and put him in a box stand once. He sat at the back of the box stand and tried to shoot at a buck in a small food plot. He shot a hole in the box stand. I asked him what was he thinking. Why not put the rifle in the window and shoot from a Rest Aim. He said he didn't want the deer to see him move. That was it for me.

10. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha!

I once had a kid that I went to school with brag of shooting a deer at 900 yards with his 30-06. I told him he was full of ****, but he never backed down. I then talked to a friend that's a ballistics expert. He told me it was like 9 feet of drop and 7 feet of drift (with a slight breeze) for a shot like that. I don't remember if those were the exact numbers, but it was something unfathomable. Point being, he had no idea how far the deer was when he shot it, but I can guarantee it wasn't 900 yards.

11. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A 2700 fps mv 175 grain .308 match boat-tail at 1000 yards requires about 42 MOA (approx. inches) of elevation adjustment from a 100 yard zero. Wind drift wouldn't be 7 feet but could easily be 30 or more inches with a 5-10 mph crosswind. And by the time it went 900 yards from a 30-06 it was border-line sub-sonic so expansion would be iffy at best. A deer at 400 yards looks mighty small and "feels" like it's a lot further. He probably misjudged his distance and then slept on it enough times that it got even longer.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Social media and advertising your success is your problem.

13. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bingo. I refuse to post any expansive scenery pictures online. Too many lazy *******s afraid to work.

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I was going to lie about a long range shot...I would at least say I was using a long range gun/caliber....not an 06, lol. At 180g it drops almost 7ft at 500yards at keeps dropping right at 10 inches every 20yards beyond that.

15. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now, that's funny!! Thanks for making me laugh. I needed it.

16. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fortunately, most of my friends have given me opportunities to hunt their land on more than one occasion. I often offer up my spots to return the favor. However there will always be a few who decide to keep to themselves.

I also dont go out of my way to share my success, especially on social media. Sometimes it just draws unwanted attention.

17. semper

semper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I invite whoever asks me. The only way our sport stays safe is if it is continually growing. Dont want people bothering you dont put it on "social" media.