Just heard this is it true?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Crossm2000, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Crossm2000

Crossm2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that peeing on a scrape that you've made works just as well as the scents made for them is this true?

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All urine breaks down to ammonia. So there is no differentiating it once it does so. Just breaking the ground will peak a deers interest. But what is most important is the licking branch above and location.

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I pee in every scrape I come across. To them it's just another deer in the area.

4. Adamjjf

Adamjjf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wait... What?! Do you lick the branches too? This will make for some awkward trail cam pics for some. In all seriousness though, wouldn't the pheromones in our urine vary enough that the deer can tell?

5. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if it works just as well but it works I've seen it first hand my dad and grandpa would pee in scrapes if they had to go while hunting my grandpa killed his biggest deer 2 and half hours after peeing in a scrape the deer came in to check out. I've also seen this to my redneck Cuz will take his wife's tampons when she's on her period and freeze them when it's close to Nov and he'll hang them from trees its gross as hell but he's killed 2 170s and a 210 monster from doing this and he does it every year now the Last week of October to the 3 week of November he learned it from a old timer that can't hunt anymore then Googled it and it's actually a big thing if you check it out.
    I don't do either but seen both work it's crazy but if you actually think about it or grandpa's hunted with no scents or attractants wearing red plaid and Jean's no camo or high tech any thing and they killed a ton of deer .

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did a test after hearing this last year....mock scrape and I pee'd on it, nothing else.
    Every animal that came across it, sniffed, looked around, an then either walked off or pee'd in it too. (fox, squirrel, deer, chipmunks, ETC...all on video.) So yes, I believe.

7. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could see peeing in the scrape but I think your cuz takes it a little too far...

8. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buddy's uncle doing that......I'll pass.

9. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cant tell that its human pee? lol. you really think a deer knows the smell of human pee vs any other creature.

10. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I drink coffee, I can detect a distinct odor to my urine......so I am guessing a deer can as well with their far superior olfactory senses. Those of you who believe this to be beneficial.....and I know some guys who do it as well.....can continue on with the practice. As for me, I am extremely scent conscious and try not to leave any human odor in the woods if I can help it.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this thread? here we go again!!!

the pee may be a topic on its own but the skin your body is shedding at an alarming rate while standing there peeing away is what concerns me. young bucks maybe but big old mature phantoms I'm not chancing anything!

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's one for you guys. While we are talking about urination. I hunt with a guy that swears this story to me and he is one of the pee in the scrape guys too. He pees out of his stand and swears it won't harm anything and to each his own but he also said one time while peeing out of his stand he had a buck charge in that he didn't know was there. Literally caught him with his pants down. The way he made it sound was that this buck came in on high alert just as if he rattled him in. Now with all the peeing and scraping going on in the prime of the rut I could see this being believable. Plus I know this guy well and this guy doesn't lie that much. Lol. So he leaves e his pants down with junk out and all, grabs his bow, drops the deer. Then he said he finished peeing. I guess he pinched it off or whatever when he saw this buck coming in. Interesting story and who knows...maybe a new line of buck calls? :lol:

14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pee is pee...there are no pheromones in it...those come from a buck pissing on his tarsal glands. I don't think it hurts to piss in a scrape, but I also don't go out of my way to do it.

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The old school thought was human urine would scare the deer away. But since the advent of trailcams that has definitely been proven wrong. So I say let it fly! As for the other poster's suggestion with the tampons, I think Ill pass!

Blessings........Pastorjim

16. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all for killing the biggest deer I can and will go pretty far to do it. But taking the old ladies used tampons is just f'd up lol

17. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Not sure the misses(post-menopause) will understand.....if, I tell her I need an affair so I can score some T's.:eek2:

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It was shocking to me the first time, but it is true!

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to see a TV hunter do an endorsement for used tampons, that would be funny. I think the tampon theory is a myth. But I will pee on it before I put any purchased product on scrape.

20. Robinson

Robinson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've never done it but after reading these posts I may have to start!