Just Another Doe! A First..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a day, I couldn't be more pleased. If nothing else happens this season, I am blessed by God with an incredible memory. It started with the doe I dropped this morning. If you haven't seen the prelude to this story, check out, " Just a Doe, yeah okay"... I posted earlier, A lone doe came to me, the perfect doe.. now what I didn't write in the first story upon field dressing her, she had milk so obviously somewhere, she had fawns. They were not with her today, nor yesterday morning when I assume it was her that went through grunting as she did this morning but in low light. Glassing her, I knew it was a doe, and she was alone.

Fast forward to tonight, I no sooner got in my stand when I caught movement out the ridge from me and closing fast. I had texted my girlfriend if she's in her stand yet because they were moving, she said she was almost there... good I thought, perhaps these deer would feed out the ridge and funnel past her stand.

At 50 yards and closing I texted Matt / PA and another buddy Luke that deer were on the move, and headed my way hoping they'd pass me and pass by Micki, my girlfriend... they closed the distance to 5 yards when the lead deer, a fawn doe squatted and urinated... good for me I though, nice cover scent... then she trotted past me headed right toward her stand... in toe was her sibling, a BB... All I could hope for was she picked out the right deer and let the BB go, earlier I gave her the green light on any doe seeing she's never taken a deer period and this was her first year archery hunting plus shooting a bow at all. I'll premise this saying I had bought her a Diamond Infinite Edge back in July.. the bow goes from 5 lbs to 70 lbs, and 13" draw to 30" draw, I knew it'd start her out and grow... Starting at 25 lbs we set a goal to get over the minimum 35lb law in PA... it didn't take long before she was there... shooting all my 3D targets with great accuracy out to 40 yards. We said she'd only take out to 25 yards if conditions were right... We spent a day at Cabela's outfitting her which a free shopping spree for a woman... she was on an ultimate high then too. LOL but I digress

After texting Matt of their whereabouts they ran right to her... with anxiousness I stared her direction...stretching my ears to hear anything, glassing the whole area looking for a flicker of movement... Matt and few others were lighting up my phone... mmmrrttt, mrrrrtt mmmmrrrrt went my phone... wanting to answer but wanting to listen I did both when suddenly I heard a whirl wind of deer running, looking I see both deer headed my way, I grabbed my bow in case I had to follow up shot on a bad hit but low and behold I see a hole right behind her shoulder... sprinting passed me she stumbled, the BB in tow... down the hill and into the Mountain Laurel... she stopped, stumbled, sprinted and went down! I threw my hands up in celebration... her first ever deer and taken with archery equipment... she listened, she learned, sucked up everything I had to teach her, yearned to have me correct her shooting, eager... I couldn't be more proud of her...

I returned a few texts when I received one from her... "I got her, right in the heart" it said... I laughed... knowing the doe laid below me... I returned a text... "Are you sure?" .... moments later, Mmmrrtt. "I saw the arrow sticking out both sides" she said... I chuckled again... "Yeah I know, she's down just down the hill below me"... I could just sense the smile at the other end of the "line".

Her story: " I knew you said you had those deer by your but suddenly they came running into me... I had perfect shots at the BB but the doe was quartered to me and you mentioned not to take that shot so I waited, she needed to take a few steps and I picked an opening hoping she turn broadside and I said to myself, I got this! ( Knowing I told her to picture it, pick a spot, execute it ) .. she continued, the doe seemed to hop right into my shooting lane I came to full draw, settled my pin where you said and squeezed... I didn't know what happened but I thought I saw the lighted nock hit right behind her shoulder, when she ran up the hill I could see the arrow sticking out both sides"... Then she texted me,..

I told her to nock another arrow and sit tight, it was early, 5:30 ... nothing else materialized so we got down, headed back to the house to regroup, eat and relax to let the woods settle and go in after the deer have moved out... we just got back in from recovering her first ever deer. Smiling and living on a high right now. My season is made... bucks would be a bonus... we have been very blessed and on the same day. I am however convinced these were the offspring of the doe I took this morning. She was also very disciplined to take the doe fawn over the BB... hopefully with parent doe and offspring gone, he'll stick around a few years...(wishful)

Again, I can't express how happy this makes me... I hope you all appreciate it as well. Thanks guys, just wanted to share.

[​IMG]

Equipment:

Diamond Infinite Edge 36 lbs
    Beman tipped w 40KE Rages
    Viper Archery sights
    Limb Driver rest
    Noturnal nock

[​IMG]

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to you both Rob! And.....that's a fawn??

3. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! What an incredible day you two have had. 2 HUGE does!!

Congratulations to you both.

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Congrats to both of you!!! What a day!

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, things are dying in your neighborhood today. Congrats again.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! So cool!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, gotta love the "first"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

8. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If that's a doe fawn your woman is tiny! That looks like a great doe. Congrats to you both. Sounds like an awesome day in the woods. Too cool you got to share this experience with her from start to finish. What a blessed day indeed :D

sent from old school can and string

9. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rob
    Wow what a smile on your ladies face, that says tons, she's hooked and you got the best in a partner, hopefully for some time buddy! Congrats on the recruit, LOL. Now don't let her beat ya to the 1st buck, you won't hear the end of it if she beats ya !!!
    Rocky

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd better double check the meat in my freezer if that's a PA fawn. I just may have ground squirrel.

Congrats to you both! It'll be a hard day to top, but I'm sure it will be even funner trying. The pressure is off now.

11. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Rob, Congrats to her.

12. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome congrats to you both!

13. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rob, Thats awesome ... She must be so excited, Tell her I said CONGRATS, and you sir did good:tu:

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome man! Congrats to her and you!

15. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story and congrats!!!

Im going to have to go with some of the others and say, are you sure that things a fawn??

16. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

17. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...trust me guys...its a fawn doe....my girl is 5'0 and 100 lbs....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

18. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to her.

It is great that the two of you are able to share such a moment together.

19. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to the both of you. Great story.

20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    congrats!!