Just another arrow spine question.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't understand arrow spine too much and trying to choose an arrow gets more confusing to me when you can look at 3 different manufacturers charts and each one is a different spine recommendation.

So here is my set up, Bear Venue with 50 lb limbs, maxed out. I don't know the exact poundage it is maxed out being I haven't had it checked since I worked up to getting it maxed out. Draw length is 26" I am looking at Gold Tip arrows and they have 2 different charts for different IBO speeds. My Venue's advertised IBO speed is 330 fps. Whether or not I am getting that, probably not. So I am unsure which Gold Tip chart I should be going off of.

So my question is, which spine do you recommend for me? If I follow the their charts, one chart I fall under a 500 spine, the other, 400. Also, what length? My current arrows the shop cut them at 26 3/4" from throat of nock to end of shaft.

The help is appreciated.

2. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Read the chart based off of your IBO speed, not actual speed. As far as arrow length, go off of the length of carbon you have. I have had the best luck by choosing one box to the right of what it recommends. If you're on the line of .400 and .500 spines and you're picking a hunting arrow, go with the stiffer .400 spine.

I just looked at Gold Tips chart on a box of arrows and you're right on the line between .500 and .400, go with the .400's. Stiffer in most cases, is better!

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Matt said....

Sent from my XT830C

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely the 400's.

IBO on your bow is 330 fps, you are probably closer to 250-260 fps at 50#. IBO is calculated with using 70#/30" draw length/350 gn arrow. You lose fps for every inch under 30", you lose fps for every pound of draw weight under 70#, you lose fps for every grain of arrow weight over 350 grains, and you lose fps for anything you add to the string (d-loop, kisser button, peep, etc.).

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent information, thanks everyone!