Just About Died Planting Food Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jmbuckhunter, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well not really but I got your attention. It sure was hot out there tho, went thru 1-1/2 gallons of water. I had disced up about an acre and a half of my food plot last week so I could plant this week. I started spreading fertilizer (damn that stuff was expensive) with my pull behind spreader behind the 4 wheeler and after about 50 feet I noticed the fert was just falling straight down and not spreading anymore. The shaft to the spreader had snapped :rant:!#$%%*(*(&^%^#!!!! I tried to figure out a way to fix it, but no way with what I had there. So I had to spread it with my little hand spreader. I was soaked with sweat by the time I finished but I got all 6 bags spread. Disced that in real good and then it was time to plant.

I planted about 1/2 an acre of Austrian Winter Peas. First time I've tried them. The deer have been mowing down my soy beans, so I thought I'd give them something similar. Then I planted 1/2 acre of WHitetail Institute Winter Greens. Planted this last year and it did great. Lots of huge leaves and big bulbs that the deer ate all winter. Last to go in the ground was 1/2 acre of Diakon Radishes. This is a new one for me also, but I know a few guys that planted them last year and their deer love them. Figured I'd give em a try. Now I need a bit of rain to get things growing. The weather man says we have some storms coming tonight and Monday night too.

In a few weeks I'll plant my wheat and clover in a couple corners of the food plot. It's a little early for the wheat yet.

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No before and after pics :(

Glad you survived. We need rain here also !

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What kind or Daikon Radishes did you get John? We got 15# from Trophy Radishes and planted them in 3 different spots. It was a little early to plant them, but had no choice with the rain coming and also the possibility of not getting back to the cabin to work again before leaving for Wyoming this next Sunday. I snuck up there 3 days after we planted them and they were germinating like crazy. A good number of them already had 2 leaves on them. I may have to sneak up there one more time this week just to see how they're doing. Also am going to plant them in the middle of our bean field, a spot we missed with beans, right after I get back from Wyoming. It will be interesting to see how well they do.

4. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pat, as far as before pics, picture a field of brown dirt. ;) That's pretty much what it looks like right now. I will get some pics when they start growing.

Sort of like this from the spring.

[​IMG]

Dan, I got the radishes at a local feed store. It just said Daikon Radishes on the bag. I'm anxious to see how they do too. A couple of neighbors planted some last year and their deer liked them better than turnips.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping they like them better than the turnips too. They look to get a lot bigger tops and more of the radish grows out of the ground. From my research, it looks like they will provide more biomass than turnips. Plus, they grow fast.

6. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I know the feeling John, I was praying for rain weeks ago! By the way, I'm glad you're still alive.