Just a few questions about bowfishing.

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Brandon8807, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Talking to Christine in another thread and realizing that I could be going bowfishing with a couple friends this upcoming summer has made me take a deeper look into the sport. I was wondering what types of bows would be good for bowfishing. I'm considering just getting an older compound that I wouldn't mind being a little rough on. It really makes me wish I hadn't traded my old PSE beast in on the bow I just bought. I guess what I'm really wondering is how much should I expect to spend on a rig that isn't top of the line, but is still decent and will hold up to the test of the sport? I'm by no means rolling around in money. I actually just got my hours cut in half at my part-time job at school because of the economy. Thanks ahead of time for any input!

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brandon you don't need anything fancy at all to shoot fish with. Just get out there a pick up a cheap used compound or recurve and get a reel and an arrow and go for It. If It was me I wouldn't spend over $100.00 for a bow. But then again old recurves are a dime a dozen.

3. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure... I think I might prefer a compound just because it's what I'm used to. Is it hard to adjust to using the recurve?

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not at all Brandon. I bet you could pick up a 40 to 45lb bear recurve for $50.00 and If you don't care for It you could resell It again for the same price.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's probably just as easy to start with a cheap recurve as it is an old compound.

The thing to look for with a compound is long enough axle to axle that you can finger shoot it. Lighter poundage is better than heavy. Unless you're doing a lot of deep water shooting, 50lbs is plenty.

When looking at recurves, it's nice if they are drilled and tapped for accessories.

Either way, get something that you won't mind beating up on. :)

6. dingus

dingus Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out ebay. I bought an old Darton target bow with two Stan back tension releases all the mods for 45.00 bucks. I sold the releases for 40.00 each. I've had the bow for three years and still killing carp and gar.