Just a blind and stand reminder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by oldnotdead, Jul 28, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Today I was out checking blinds. I do this way early because of bees. I've had late season paper wasp and yellow jacket hives show up. These need a spray which takes time but also smells. You want that gone before the boys really start moving. Then there are needed repairs and first time safety checks. To be had. I opened the zipper door on a dog house blind to come face to face with a yellow jacket hive. Went to check a wooden ladder stand to find a paper wasp hornets nest hanging under the seat. Good Lord! A billion trees and bushes around and they need to take up residence in my space to disrupt things....must be democrats....

So be mindful of fall bees and check things early . Stay safe.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Mod-it and Swamp Stalker like this.
  2. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't have any trouble leaving blinds out all year, I left one out a couple of years ago and it looked like a grizzly went thru it.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't leave mine up year round because the biggest problem is UV rays fading and destroying the fabric. One of mine got destoryed last year in a wind storm after having it for only the 3rd year. Even during the season, my biggest problems are spiders and lizards taking up residence. If the OP is who I think it is, they have a reason for leaving them up year round though.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I have two cheap doghouse blinds from Sportsmans Guide. I say cheap because I got them many years ago for 40 dollars and change. Both are on raised platforms ,but not always. Devise won't let me access both pics at moment but heres one . Just 5 years and the other has been out 10 yrs. We get heavy snow loads here and never had a collapse . I made rain caps for all my blinds that work great. I could never leave a hub blind up year around. Pic of hub with one of the rain caps. Though most of my blinds are permanent, two are made from card board over a wood frame with cardboard roofs. One is 12 yrs old and the other 5 yrs old. I think those pics are in the DIY THREAD.
    Ps
    wrong on time, ones 4 the other Dog house 8 in the DIY Thread.. Though that seems low to me on the older one.

20180907_131707_resized.jpg IMG_20190416_120611.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So they seem to be following me... The hive found on porch, not in Gator cover but inside the folded up hub blind I had left there. Killed them all last night. Man cover, deck and hub all stink! Nasty hornets and wasps in the fall.

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't leave a blind out. Even for the couple of weeks of spring turkey hunting the bears seam to like to tear them up. AND I am certain there is no food left in them. Lost 3 so far. Even my permanent blinds have had bear issues.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    All my blinds on the ground save that one hub are brush blinds. I also make my brush blinds big enough to place a hub or dog house in them if I want. 20180907_142923_resized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! I'll add those to my mice deterents. That is if I can find them on line. I haven't seen them on shelves here.
    Big thanks for the info.
    Lol duh!! I just saw that link....

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad I could help!