Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

John Eberhart doesn't care.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting video from John and he claims because he wears a carbon filled scent lok suit he does not care about the wind. He truly believes this technology pretty much erases his scent. Now I just do think you can eliminate your scent. You can mask it some but to totally get rid off it? But I also can't argue with his results over the past 40+ years. What side of the fence are you guys on?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure most people are going to be on the side of "it doesn't work so don't bother." IMO it's a LOT of work to take things to John's level of dedication when it comes to scent control. If you're willing and prepared to do that, it certainly can work. He's living proof of it. The problem is that most of us aren't nearly that dedicated or disciplined to pull it off.

He's the David Goggins of scent control.

Shocker99, Wedes, muzzyman88 and 2 others like this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And also, doesn’t he hunt really high when he can. Like 30’. My theory is your scent would cast further and dilute more. Also, can you dumb your scent down enough to seem further away and less of a threat maybe?

Vabowman likes this.
  4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you can say whatever you want to sell product, does he have any videos where he's like "screw the wind" and shoots a deer coming directly into his scent? Maybe he does - but I can tell you dang near anything, doesn't mean I actually believe it.

I'll go back and find it, but I remember him being on Huntr a year or 2 ago and talking about how washing that gear destroys it, I'll find it and link it

**Edit - Huntr Podcast episode 93
    I'll re listen and time stamp

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    @Justin is spot on, now is John blowing some smoke with the "never have a deer bust me" sorry John, as much as he views himself as it sometimes he is not God or a demi-god. He's been busted whether he knows it or not.

I'll be honest time has not allowed me to do all the anal retentive stuff scent wise I used to do...and I absolutely know there was a time I was far more invisible, less detectable would be the better term, than I am now. I used to literally cover myself with carbon powder, I looked like a chimney sweeper or coal miner when I'd get home...clean up SUCKS and having a wife that HATES her shower turning into a gray/black color on the bottom of it during season doesn't help. But also it's such a process to scrub and clean it off...but man between it and back then I wore scent lok a lot till very cold (their cold gear sucked back then, SUCKED)....I countless times would have mature deer downwind that would at worst get touch squirrelly for a bit, but never blow or stomp and such. Mix that all with transportation clothes and a truck that literally had an ozone machine ran before a hunt, I'd pop it on leaving the truck for the stand (it ran for fifteen minute increments) and then I'd turn it on after the hunt when unloading it.

It's a lot I know....but honestly if I could do it again I'd have a separate shower installed and still may downstairs (only spot at house to do it) and get a separate hunting clothes only wash machine and dryer (wife would love to use scented detergent again).....I'd do it in a heartbeat and be in a better position for hunting.

Instead I love high wind days now and rely on them LOL

cantexian, 0317 and ash d like this.
  6. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to a lot and still sometimes do, rub pine tags on myself before going in, it actually really does a good job of masking scent. Doesn't eliminate it for sure but it does mask some. I don't buy scent lok or carbon stuff, just can't afford it really. I use spray and shower in scent free soap and use scent free wash and I try to play the wind, that's all i got.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let me bug a few with beating a dead horse here.
    I wash with scent away.. dry hair with out side air.wash hunt clothes with scent free and hang them out on covered deck. Boots stay on boot heater to keep dry on inside. I use nut oils. Blind windows get a dab and boots get some. I hunt the winds.
    All this said yesterdays does and fawn down wind of me. That spike came in through the wood lot directly to me down wind. He was in range before knowing something was up. Then again I was standing on a wide open trail. The doe last week that walked around me at 20 ft.
    Nut oils are strong and part of their habitat. Like guys that use wood smoke once the weather turns cold. a light wood smoke covering you is what they smell all day and night in populated areas. In hill country swirling winds getting enough cover in natural scents can get them in range

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the day, I wore the ScentBlocker clothes and it 'seemed to help.'.. ( its stored in the closet from some 20 years ago)... I should just toss it out .... I killed some good deer, had some stand downwind and never knew I was around ... could that have been thermals ? ... who knows ... a hassle to keep them "charged" via the dryer .. I do believe they can help, but for total odor elimination, nope you cant... you can reduce your scent stream but total elimination wont happen .... instead of the carbon clothes now, I just try to keep 'em clean, hang out side as weather allows, use Sportwash to hand wash in the shower nothing I have goes in the dryer now, Its all hung up to dry and I do use SK Gold and PLAY THE WIND !! ... If the wind isnt correct, I dont even try to hunt a particular location ...

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a video a few years ago where they hid a guy in a hunting blind and then took a dog and had it find the man. The dog found him everytime. Even when he was wearing the scent elimination clothing. I think you might be able to reduce your scent or during the rut a buck just may not care, but I don't think you can totally eliminate it. I think the wind is your best bet.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mhouck06, oldnotdead, Tony and 3 others like this.
  10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you can argue his success by doing what he does. He goes to a degree with it that I can never bring myself to doing. I think doing it his way has its merits, even if its a little bit of an advantage. He also does something else that many people miss. He routinely hunts at 25+ feet in a tree. That alone provides a significant wind advantage.

I think the whole scent control this is very very dependent on that area and deer you hunt as well.

I personally don't subscribe to any of his scent control stuff to be honest. But I will say that I 100% subscribe to his hunting strategies and most of all, his saddle hunting methods. He's the "godfather" of saddle hunting and I when he talks about it, I listen. I don't fully follow how he does it, but I've taken quite a bit and applied to my own setups, etc. good information.

11. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like scent lok for the way everything sticks to it! image.jpg

It’s good stuff but I’m not going to purposely sit in a bad location because I think it’s going to make me go undetected. Like Jim said, most of our hunting is focused around the rut and pre-rut and that’s when they get stupid.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cabela's berber fleece can hook a few more.:biggrin:

cantexian, Vabowman and camo75 like this.
  13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't want to be able to fool a deer's nose with a suit or a machine. That's just me. Zero interest.

cantexian, Vabowman and Holt like this.
  14. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only Scent Lock stuff I own is a pair of pants and a cap I won last year, I'd forgotten about it until this thread popped up. It's still in the package I think.

I may try the pants since they're probably warmer than the BDU pants I've been wearing.

Vabowman likes this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went to the berber fleece with base layers carbon and spray felt like a ritual. Had the ozone scent tent walked directly out after a shower. Respect the scent gods.:deadhorse:

16. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And then sit down on a log and smoke a pack of Pall Malls.

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watch Dr. Jim too. Extreme.

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heres my opinion after many, many, hours of research, field testing, and deliberation. Scent control definitely helps. How far are you willing to go with it?

Sota likes this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wood smoke was what I was referring to not tobacco.

20. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Sota have you had a chance to get out in the stand this year?