Joe's Journal Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Joe Collins, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to have to completely set up the rest for the bow. Among a few other things, a tuning a bow is moving the rest to find the center shot. Setting the arrow rest requires precise adjustment. You can't just slap it on the bow and expect it to perform. It's going to take some time and your bow is far from being tuned. This is what I used to learn initially. YouTube is another good resource.

I'm assuming the bow tech at the shop is not aware that you replaced the rest. He likely assumes you are using the same rest, with which he had to take the time to find the center shot and line everything up.

http://cdn.eastonarchery.com/uploads/download-files/Tuning_Guide.pdf

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The tech replaced the biscuit with the drop away in the store then had me fire a few shots...that's when I noticed the red streaks and suggested that it be moved over...Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

3. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh ok. I thought you had replaced it yourself. The center shot is likely correct, but I'd certainly check it just to be sure. If your center shot is, in fact, correct then you will need to change your vanes. I had this issue with a Mission bow a few years ago. You likely had contact with the whisker biscuit too but you might not have noticed. Center shot won't change from rest to rest so your arrow will always follow the same path resulting in contact on every shot unless you change your vanes. Someone else may have some more insight or pointers.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1st pointer put a shirt on, this is a hunting site not a place for posers (just saying)

5. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    Lol @ this guy^^. I'll do what I want. If you don't like it, tough ****. ;)

Anyway, haters aside. I've noticed over the past couple weeks the steadiness of my aim has increased significantly. The majority of the time I had been practicing at 10 yards, holding my shots for a good 10 seconds before releasing to strengthen up my muscle memory. I'd still like to get a quick detach double stabilizer, though. Just to help steady my aim all that much more.

10 yards has become too close of a range to practice at this point. Aside from the odd shot off center from me twitching or whatever the strong majority of my arrows are touching on the bullseye and I even robin hooded one recently and blew the nock off another. It's nice to know I'm getting a lot better but still sucks balls when I blow apart a 8$ arrow. haha -_-

Also my target is getting really worn from my frequent shooting. I bumped it up to maybe around 50-100 shots per day. (some days only 20-30 due to fatigue from working all day) and the center of the one side with the circle targets has become so worn that the arrows now penetrate through to the back and stick out of the deer side. I figure I might as well flip it around and start shooting the deer since it's getting shot up anyway. haha

So I set it up at around 17-18 yards today and shot off maybe 60-70 arrows. Grouping was really well. My shots are on point. Again, aside from the odd ball which ends up 5 inches off from me twitching or whatever.

Archery is truly an addiction. I have my eye on the king pin sight one pin adjustable.( Hey, go big or go home eh?)....I'll be buying it sometime in the future...despite the huge cost. I'd like to get into competitive shooting at some point. You can only hunt so much before you fill your tags and the seasons over...so I figure that's the route I'll eventually go. Might as well plan ahead and buy a good sight for it.

I don't like when my arrow fletching gets warped. Everyone I've talked to says this doesn't affect accuracy but I'm a bit skeptical. Is there any proof to this aside from the experiential anecdotal kind?

PS if anyone is interested in reading about how I solved the fletching problem I commented on this thread here detailing about how I got it fixed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Bowhunting is the greatest ever. I see you are from Troy. Where do you have land to hunt? I live just north of Saratoga in Queensbury.

7. Joe Collins

Dislikes Received:
    My grandfather owns around 150 acres up in the mountains in Averill Park so I plan on going with him come October. My girlfriend and I have both recently become members of the green island rod stag and gun club so we can hunt on the club property up near the Tom Hannock reservoir. My mother lives less than 5 minutes from the club but her property isn't that large. Other than a few meek does and calves running around up around her house it seems to be slim picking so I probably won't be hunting there.

8. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Joe great job your on the right tract keep shooting long shoots it will continue to improve a tip to tightin your groups shoot your 2x2 target close real close less then 5 yards pick a hole and try driving arrow in it work on consistent form it will give you mental confidence and start tightening your groups good luck this season

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    suggest perfecting your shooting and get good groups before increasing the bow weight. that will help develop the good muscle memory and save having to fix problems later. also recommend add serving above and below the peep sight to make sure it doesn't move. I have friends who never have a peep sight shift but I did and cost me a nice hog once so view it as a potential problem that is easy to fix. Archery is addicting, particularly with the new equipment which can have you hitting teacups at 20 yards first time out. but gauge everything on your groups. If you can't group on a target, then once the adrenaline kicks in when aiming at a deer it won't get easier...