It's time to control those grasses in our clover plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by BOBSS396, May 31, 2011.

1. BOBSS396

BOBSS396 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a reminder that now is a good time to get the grasses out of our clover plots. I use 3 methods. the 1st is fertilize with 9-23-30 this will give the clover what it needs but will not give the grass much food. the second is to use poast plus with oil.( I have not had very good luck with this but it does help some) my third and favorite is to use 2 pints per acre of round up. add 1/2 rate of clover seed at the same time. Clover is round up resistant. it will shrivel up but will come back healthy and the grasses that have died will shade the young clover seedlings. make sure and do this just before a forcast for rain. this fall you will have the best looking clover plot in the neighborhood. :nana::nana::rock:

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice Bob !

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just be careful with the glyphosate, I've killed clover with the 1 qt per acre ratio (although that was my intent at the time). Reseeding it as you do this is likely the cause of the great results. Overseeding is great for rejuvenating plots.

With as much nitrogen as clover plots put out, you could switch to corn for a year and not be out much in fertilize either.

4. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know people who have completely killed their clover using Round Up. Not all clover can take it and survive.

I prefer mowing.

5. BOBSS396

BOBSS396 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When done properly Roundup is probably the most effective way to manage grasses in clover. It must be done when there is no stress on the clover (drought) I have been doing the roundup treatment for 15 years with no problems. Your clover will look dead for up to 6 weeks but will then recover and be better than ever:nana:

6. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why would you want your clover to be dead for a month and a half?

7. BOBSS396

BOBSS396 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well lets see... so my clover will live another year without all the grasses in them. I have clover plots that are 7 years old and don't have any grass in them and look as good today as they did on the 1st year, most clover plots are toast in 3-5 years. I was only making a suggestion... no one said you had to do it to your plots, I spray clients plots along with my own and have had only positive feedback.