Its almost Chicken raising season! Lets see your coops!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by KyleLewis, Mar 15, 2015.

1. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year raising chickens. I am going to build my coop as soon as the snow is gone. I plan on getting 6 layers. I don't have a lot of land and I am going to keep the chickens locked up in a run. Maybe ill be able to do free range at my next house. Not sure what design ill end up building but im could use any ideas/tips you may have. I know of atleast one chicken person (Christine) on here!

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I let my birds roam over about a quarter acre. They used to have access to almost the whole yard but my puppy has discovered that chicken heads are crunchy and tasty so I have fenced the back half of the yard off... Because headless chickens are crummy egg layers. This dog is way different than our previous dogs. :/

Anyhow, my mom has four hens in her suburban backyard. She has two small store bought coops enclosed by a chain link dog run. A roof was added as well as some additional netting /wire to keep out the raccoons and 'possums.

Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

To get really good eggs, the chickens need to be able to access fresh greens and bugs. If you can let them out of the run from time to time it would benefit you and the birds. Like open up the coop two hours before dark. The birds will go back in at dark and you can lock them up. If not possible, at least toss them some grass clippings and veggies. :)

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im afraid my black lab would go after and either chase them outta the yard or kill them. I didn't know they would return to the coop on their own at dusk. That's cool. In that case I could let them loose for an hour or 2 every night.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 8 layers and a rooster, I let them free range. The dogs learn that they can't kill them.