Is this Oneida Eagle worth $$???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hambone69, Oct 3, 2012.

1. hambone69

hambone69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a chance to get this bow from my freind for $80, is it worth it? I have a bow already for hunting, I just thought these look kool, and it shoots preety nice., 1.) can you shoot carbon arrows, 2.) what # are they adjustible to.....he is not sure of the year, so if anyone knows that would be great he got it used in 2006 5I35Fa5H43Lc3Id3Jcc9hdc146b3d31881db8.jpg .....thanks for any in put.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    $50 ... no more IMO

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like one of the earlier Oneidas (1980s or early 1990s models), its hard to tell the model on my BB. Under the handle should be a serial number, likely etched into the riser. Those translate to model, year and other details.

Poundages can be adjusted, but the weight depends on the model and limbs on the bow.

Look up the serial to help find the going prices (e.g eBay).

Check the serving on the string, yoke cables and timing cables, but if the bow works the price may be reasonable. Get the serial and there is more that can be told.

4. DakotaElkSlayer

DakotaElkSlayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    $50...are you serious?!!! Original poster, go on Ebay and see what these bows are really going for. $70 is a steal since they are in really high demand, especially from bowfishers.

Jim

5. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    all I know about that bow is that they were ACCURATE...buddy of mine in college would put 3 arrows in a quarter from 40 yards every time the whole time we shot...I was shooting only the reurve then(though I had an older bear whitetail compound I hated it - wouldn't stay tuned for some reason) and man I wanted to get one of those badly. Do the ebay thing(I think 80-150 is prob'ly fair depending on condition)

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say you could get a better used bow for 80 dollars. If they're going for a lot on ebay doesn't mean you can't look for another kind of bow that's probably in better condition. IMHO I wouldn't pay that much.

7. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well - let us see some pics of the conditiion of the bow...have you tried it/shot it/just drew it back? Does it rattle and squeak or is everything tight and smooth(with the moving limbs and lots of cables, they could get loose and cause serious inconsistancy)? It is an old bow, but I do have an old Bear Whitetail II that is almost like new condition(but then again -just watch the arc of the arrow over 30 yards tells why I don't use it..slow...no room for error in yardage estimation). Might cost over 100$ just to get the Oneida back into good shooting/hunting condition(maybe more and that's if you can find everything you need). JMO - they are a cool old bow and COULD work very well for you.

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it fits you it is a deal. Post a better picture and someone will know the model and year. What does it say on the front of the limbs? Does it come with all the DL modules? There is lots of good info at:

http://www.oneidabows.net/
    http://www.americaneaglebows.com/
    http://www.5150bows.com/bows.htm

I have 2 Oneidas. One is a mint AeroForce X-80 and I would not sell it for under $300. The other is a barely shot (100 arrows) Preproduction (Prototype), signed my Roger Loomis, Black Eagle I would not sell for under $450.

If it fits you and in good shape you will like it. They are a little loud but there are ways to quite it down. Shooting a heavy arrow is the easiest (for any bow). I have killed dozens of deer with an Oneida. I know for sure you will never find a smoother drawing bow that the Oneida. Once you figure out the model check the AT classifieds to see what they are selling for.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  9. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have mentioned. do some more research. I'd go the local bow shop and ask what a new string will cost. My old bow cost me $130 for a new string, but I bought the bow brand new in 2000.

10. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The bow in question is a Strike Eagle. It is probably the most quiet of all the Oneidas because of the shape of the outboard limb. It does not give you the string slap of the other bows. The Strike is also the longest Oneida ever made. It is a great finger shooter and as always it has the classic silky smooth draw associated with the Oneida brand of bows. For 80 dollars I think you cant go wrong. I own several and have had ever model ever made except one. My latest addition to the collection is the Kestrel. The jury is still out on this one. However it is a sweet shooter but has a huge pricetag!

If you get the bow and need a hand on maintenance give me a shout. Always willing to help.

Mac

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, you must be his friend....lol!

12. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am very familiar with Oneidas. I have owned over 4 that i use for bowfishing and worked on many others. Cornhusker hit the nail on the head. The strike eagle is the nicest shooting of the older "solid cam" models. It is big and bulky and heavy, but quieter than the others, and shoots great with fingers. I have the almost identical bow set with low letoff mods at 52lbs with finger savers as my small game bow. It shoots Axis 340's nicely and flu flus just as good. The steel cables are the most common part second to the string that wear out, you are going to want to check for frays in the cabling. As long as the limbs arent splintered or cracked or anything like that there isnt too many other parts that wear out. $80 is a good price for a complete bow considering that i put more than that into just parts and paint for an older Screaming Eagle i had. They are nice bows for on the water or if you want the instinctive shooting feel but with letoff and a bit more power than a trad bow

13. dmack4

dmack4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have an older Oneida Screaming Eagle. Talked to the people from Oneida and they said it would cost me around $400 to get the pulleys, limbs, and cables I needed to make the draw shorter. I love the bow but can't afford to get it to where I feel more comfortable shooting it. So unless it's already in good condition, and doesn't need to change anything I'd give your friend $70 for it.

14. Karrahahu1

Karrahahu1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is a great finger shooter and as always it has the classic silky smooth draw associated with the Oneida brand of bows. For 80 dollars I think you cant go wrong.???