Is this a good hunting spot?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dashua18, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So ive been using google maps to scout a public land spot for next year. Heres a screenshot of where im looking at. Its the big open area was logged out about 4 years ago but considering how close it is to water, i think would use it as a travelling area. Need some thoughts on this area.

Screenshot_2017-04-20-21-51-26.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

blackbear likes this.
  2. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The best use for maps is to pick out a place that looks good to then put boots to the ground and scout. Looks like your half way there. Until you get there and see it in my opinion it's hard to tell. Other people are pry better than me at reading maps though.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

copperhead likes this.
  3. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it were me I would be checking out these spots
    My preference would be the farthest one from the road depending on how it looked when scouting

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  4. That'sABingo

That'sABingo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    walk through the creek or river (I'm assuming the blue line is water) in hip boots and find where they are crossing. that'll give you a real good start and prints are real easy to see in the soft mud.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first spot was going to be the center eye of trees in that clearing and watch the tree lines heading to the water. The only problem is that red line on the southwest of the picture is the property line and i'm affraid that if i shoot something, it'll run into someone elses property. All the other lines don't represent property lines. I'm also thinking that if i can get a nice wind out of the north east, sitting in a tree right on that property line. and then also setting up at the top of the horseshoes. I'm attaching a picture i took that shows a bigger area with some potential sitting spots. It all depends on how thick the brush is going out there for some of these spots. and yes, that blue line is water.

New Spots.PNG

6. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    somewhere along that stream, probably the bottom of the horseshoe, they are crossing. I like where the stream and that smaller field are separated by a narrow treeline. Deer will travel the stream as well as the treeline so if you can cover both that would be best.

7. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im planning this spot out for my dad and me so with both of us there, deer shouldn't stand a chance if they are working that tree line. Only thing im worried about is how rough the terrain is after being logged. Im planning to make a few scouting trips to take a look soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boots on the ground is the only way to answer that question. It looks like a lot of road access that might make it a bit crowded.??

9. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I take it this is close to your spot from a last year and I know it's good, you certainly helped the team out. My nothing new to say walk that creek you will find what your looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums