Is there ever a way out of this current state of living?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Feb 29, 2020.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Contracts. Taxes. 40 hr work weeks. Someone else farms and kills our food. Social security. Living in old folks homes. Overpopulation. $$$ rules supreme.

This ain't the way.

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is status quo; Latin for "the mess we are in."

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think we'll know pretty soon. Give it another month and ask me again.
    Again, I don't buy into the corona-panic but if enough people do we are looking at some dark times.

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DNoodles, I don't do " likes" but I'll give you an
    AMEN!!

5. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're spot on, this ain't the way. The older I get, the further I want to get away from society. I used to think I'd need about 100 acres to feel comfortable, now I think I need 1000 acres. Because eventually the land next to me will get sold to build a housing development. Roadways are terribly over crowded, and the only new ones they build are toll roads. I've got to pay extra, just to drive on pavement. Not to mention the ridiculously high federal taxes. At some point, over taxation becomes theft. Thanks fellas, glad I'm not the only one lol.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    my travels today-
    • Sam's Club barely had any 16-20oz bottles of non-flavored water today; and was very low in TP stock
      • Saw several shoppers with copious amounts of bleach, Lysol, and other disinfectants
    • 2 separate Meijer stores (similar to WalMart for those that don't know) 100% out of hand sanitizer
    God forbid this thing hits a school and some kid dies; people are going to freak the F out.

Uchase2 likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob likes this.
  8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's all about location. First of all, around here nobody is freaking out about the corona virus. Stores are stocked at normal levels. If you want to have the feeling that you are living a better life you have to do something about it. I would suggest moving to a different location.

You are always going to have taxes. Period. You are always going to need money as well. If you are serious about changing your situation it is up to you to do something about it Bitching about it does not count and is counterproductive. You are responsible for how you feel and live.

I know that sometimes we feel trapped. We have a spouse and/or young ones to support so we need this job that keeps us where we are. However, if you want to get away from it all you have to move away from your current situation. No one said it will be easy. It could be rewarding though.

One idea is to move to a more rural area where taxes are generally less. Get some acreage and garden and raise some livestock. You'll still have to pay taxes and will need money..... but possibly not as much. When you want to see people you drive around to find them.

You have to find what works for you and your family. If you do nothing and just complain about it you'll never find what you're looking for.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take a breath brother.

Turkey season and decent fishing is around the corner.

oldnotdead likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it may be stage of life that you are in. I look back even a couple of years at how stressed I was. 2 kids in college daughter getting married, you wonder where the $ is coming from. It all blows over eventually.

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Put that on a MEME

outdoorjoe likes this.
  12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ Go right ahead.

13. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We are right where the government wants us. We have built a society and even civilization that depends on the man. We have to play by their rules or we don’t play. Modern day slaves if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Debt slaves, it's all the rage.

cantexian likes this.
  15. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I recommend a six pack and a good fishing hole, time with those you love. In the end, all that really matters is the time spent with them and the example you set. Taxes, money, contracts.. worldly examples of man's design that truly show the incompetence of man. You're way to good of a dude VS to let this kinda stuff get at ya.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you Greg. Good post

17. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on whether you yell on the web or at the ones in power.
    3 times I've had my property taxes lowered. Every time they raise my internet I call and have them lower it. Hi speed? No I talk to the repair guys Hi speed? I'm working off a phone line that was put in in 1979! Extra fees and or penalties because of " lost" payments? Never not once, why? because I refuse to be scammed. Now that I past that magical age of 60, holy crap the attempts have doubled. I have no problem crying ageism and threatening action.
    I was raised dirt poor and under some "true crime" conditions. Thank God because it taught me what I didn't want to be or how I wanted to live. It made me cheap, got money and don't need it. I live life knowing it's a game,all of it is maneuvering the board. I learned to always look several moves ahead . Enjoy every good move forward and learn by every move back. Know that in all that is bad in life there is always something good. Live looking for the good no matter how small and cherish it. What do I really have to complain about? There is always someone that has it worse,. Today the sun is shining the sky is blue and I woke up.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Sota likes this.
  18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a meme guy.

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    134iGJcqa8A9lC.gif FNtVBX71o3gGc.gif

cantexian, GregH and Sota like this.
  20. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wallet is free, there are no debt chains on me. Financial freedom is nice. There is still the mortgage, but with the current housing market and the fact that I have always paid more on the principal the minimum, after only four years as a home owner, I could put my house on the market and expect to walk away with the balance paid and around $45,000 cash in my pocket. Not bad for a first-time homeowner. Being a debt slave is optional, although most people do not have the maturity and discipline to manage money responsibly. That is their problem not mine.

But, taxes, ah yes, we are tax slaves. that tends to happen when the only two political parties both believe in big government, just different ideas on how to do it.

virginiashadow, Cannon06 and Okiebob like this.