Is The Fourth Arrow 3.0 Any Good?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by DEC, Aug 27, 2020.

1. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no relationship with Fourth Arrow. In fact I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with their products. I tend to dive in head first on new camera gear, so I took a look at the new 3.0 system.

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the 3.0 talon saddle setup. Tried it in practice a few times. Tomorrow is opening day. We shall see what real world is all about! BC727CC9-16E9-4925-908D-6F92D34CC940.jpeg 96E1C59F-05A1-4B88-9F4E-A780E5AD5705.jpeg

Justin likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used my 3.0 yet, but I am looking forward to that new Talon base. I never got into the leaving a base in every stand thing. I just have too many stands, and move around too much for that to be a viable option for me. So packing the full thing in and out each time, the Talon is sweet!

I also picked up that small triple arm that's part of the saddle kit for when I'm hunting in a saddle this fall. That will be an all new experience for me, so we'll see how it goes.

Derek - your reviews were great! Watched them all and learned a lot. Keep up the great work!

DEC likes this.
  4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks JZ.

Funny shift though ... it is still early in the year but I found myself needing to be a bit more mobile, even though I have many lock on sets. So I bought a saddle (yeah yeah I know ... jumped on the saddle train ... LOL). In doing so, I've been using the talon base attached to the 3.0 shoulder. I did swap out the crappy ratchet strap for a cam over buckle. I still think a 1 1/2" or larger strap would be better ... but that tallon base is pretty slick. Very nice for the run and gun setup. I killed a doe a week or so ago out of the saddle and using the tallon base. Worked real well. So no matter how you run the new 3.0 setup, I think you all will do just fine. I like to nit pick ... that and a bit of controversy generates Youtube views ... LOL.

5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saddle! Next you will tell me that you are shooting 650 gr arrows with 25% FOC ... :lol:

Good luck this year buddy. Stay safe. I loved the arrow weight comment after you shot your goat too ... :lmao2::rock::rock:

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    650? Those are amateur numbers. 800 or bust, baby! I'm trying to shoot through 3 deer at once.

And yeah, I picked up a saddle as well. I don't plan on using it a ton - maybe 25% of my season. But I figured I had to try it out to see what the hype is all about and it will be nice for some early season observation sits where I don't want to pack the full Lone Wolf system in. I may give it a go this weekend if I can find the time to sneak out.

When you're self-filming in the saddle which arm are you using? And I assume you're putting the camera on your right-hand side as you're facing the tree?

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am using the Triple Arm that I already had from Fourth Arrow. As you face the tree, set the base about waist high to your right side. It seems a bit cumbersome at first, but honestly when you get setup and start playing with the gear and how you can position yourself in the tree, I found it to be way more forgiving than I thought it would be. I'm no expert though, like you, I bought the saddle setup based on some feedback of some good friends and thought "what the hell, let's try it and see what the hype is all about". I have hunted out of it a grand total of three times and killed a deer on my second time out. I do have to say that the system is pretty slick and it is comfortable and safe. I do think the saddle culture has over hyped it a bit. But in general I think it is probably more versatile than a tree stand in most situations. I am looking at it as just another tool in my toolbox for hunting deer.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted out of my saddle w/the triple arm setup last night. It was my first time and a pretty big learning curve, but I got it figured out. Had a shot at a coyote, but it was a little far and a little dark so I passed. I didn't feel like monkeying around with it on a Sunday night.

My feedback on the Talon base is that I love it, but hate the strap. It may be the worst design of all time. I'm replacing it with a single "endless loop" style ratchet strap. Why we have a need for a 2 piece strap is absolutely beyond me.

Outside of that it worked great and I loved the small triple arm. I may run that a few times from my fixed position stands to see how much I like it there. I didn't miss the extra reach in the saddle, but don't know how it will be in a stand.

As for the saddle - it was okay. It didn't do anything I couldn't have done with my LW Assault. Outside of shedding a little weight, I didn't see a huge upside. I'll give it a few more shakes and see how it goes. I really missed having a seat to put my bag on while I was getting all my camera gear set up.

DEC likes this.
  9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The upside to the saddle that I have seen in my limited use is that it seems really easy to maneuver around the tree. In particular when trying to keep the tree between me and the deer. Maybe it is a young buck that I don't want to see me and bust up the hunt, or maybe it is a target animal that I want to be stealth on until the last second. That is the primary thing that I found that it let me do, where in a treestand, unless the deer comes from directly behind you, there is nowhere to hide.

Again, I think the fanboys have played it up a bit much, but it has its benefits, IMO. Time will tell though. I haven't been hunting much lately as I have been playing nurse husband as my wife recovers from knee surgery.

And, yeah the Fourth Arrow straps SUCK. Hands down the worst design ever. :lol:

10. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My only complaint with the ratchet system is that if you drop the ratchet the whole strap will fall to the ground. Don't ask how I know

Justin and DEC like this.
  11. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have used the 3.0 system for a whole season now from the saddle. Best filming arm I have ever used and iv'e used plenty. However as it is straight out of the box in my opinion its only good for the saddles as the arm would be way too short for tree stand filming. I had to lighten all my gear due to health issues and this setup was just what I needed. Passed a total of 8 bucks this season that were too small and went deerless for the first time in 25 or 30 yrs. I also will switch to DEC's modification on the strap for next yr. Hoping to go on a hog hunt in FL. in late march 2021 Which I will film and post here if it happens. So Lastly in my opinion the 3.0 from 4th arrow is the best arm ive ever used for saddle only!

DEC likes this.
  12. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So here you all go ... here is my season wrap up video on the 3.0 system. Is it usable out of the box ... I guess. Did I want to throw it through the woods ... sometimes. Can it be a very good system for filming your hunts ... yes IF you consider some modifications that I believe are pretty necessary.

Here you all go ...

Brian Walters likes this.