Is my bow too small?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Kaylen, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Kaylen

Kaylen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a complete amateur,and on the recommendation of a bow shop I bought a" Impulse 31", ... after about a week of practice and with the research I did on line the bow seems small for me. I am 6'3'' , my wingspan is 76 inches ,,,which makes my draw length I believe 30.4'',,,,the bow is supposed to be set to 30'' , but to the best of my measuring research I think the bow is 29.5 or 29.75... my support arm has to bend more than I feel is natural to get the kisser and sight in position...is this enough info for anyone to share an opinion? to the best of my calculation it seems about 3/4 inch short,,,thanks for any input , I understand that no one can know for sure without seeing it. but any info is appreciated... oh by the way the bows maximum length is 30

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some might depend on your anchor point. I used to use a 30 inch draw but once I moved to 29 and changed my anchor point to the tip of my nose instead of the side, my accuracy improved. My bow arm is bent slightly but not to the point of feeling uncomfortable.

If you are caught between draw lengths, it's better to be a little short than too long.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. Kaylen

Kaylen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks , I'm thinking about switching to a bow that has I can experiment with,

4. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely small. The guys should have recommended the 34" model. It's not impossible to shoot and shoot well, but you have a more forgiving string angle with increased axle 2 axle lengths for someone of your stature. Your draw sounds short too. Get someone to take a picture of you at full draw and you'll be able to see for yourself. My guess is you're a 31" draw like me. But there are ways you can make this work. The type of release you shoot for instance might have adjustments, or you could play with your let off to manipulate it a bit. Could be the cables have some twists in them? Lastly, and probably most helpful...find a new bowshop!

5. Kaylen

Kaylen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I took it to two other bow shops and asked for a size evaluation of the bow and me. both said it is defiantly small for me, they said my draw is 31 to 31.5...the seller said he will swap it out,,, thanks again I look forward to learning and participating here

Hillbilly Jedi and Rangerdan like this.
  6. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear that they were able to switch it out. I started out with a bow at 29” draw length as a hand me down from an uncle before my parents would ok a bow for me. It got me hooked but the having to relearn proper technique after 2 years of shooting a 29” draw when I shoot 31.5” to 32” was a bit of a learning curve

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think of archery like golf. Your not going to keep the ball in the fairway with clubs that don't fit you comfortably. Same thing with shooting a bow, especially while hunting making awkward shots that sometimes present themselves from a tree stand or ground blind.

8. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By the way, welcome to the forum.

9. Kaylen

Kaylen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone , it will probably be next week when I get the new bow,,I think I made the right choice by getting several second opinions,including you guys,,,the math and my instincts said it was small but, the seller seemed defensive to my questioning,,,any way things usually work out, I'm glad I found this place,,,I'll update on how the new one feels

10. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are they going to give you any trade in allowance? Sounds like he had a bow that he could not move so pushed it onto you. Good luck with your new bow.

11. Kaylen

Kaylen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    he is trading my Impulse 31,for a Elite Tempo,,,I think it will be a better fit,,it has ATA 34 and goes up to 32 draw length ,he may have been preoccupied with a personal matter at the time of the sale and didn't give me the proper attention needed to find me a bow that fit,,, but he is making it right,,,

Shocker99 and Hillbilly Jedi like this.
  12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear and welcome! Looking forward to hearing how the new one shoots for ya and at least the shop is making it right. They should know better than that so good to hear.

13. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you bought from a local dealer he will treat you well!

14. EvilRick

EvilRick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Given the OP's measured draw going over the max of the bow's draw lenght, is it not normal to allow some wiggle room for the release?