Is my arrow spine OK?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bgusty, Sep 23, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 29 or 29.5" DL, at 57-58#. I am currently using a 400 spine Gold Tip arrow (7.4 gpi), and they are shooting at 290 fps. I think I am right on the border of needing a 340 spine versus a 400. I did the Carbon express calculator and their PDF adjusted draw weight calculator leaves me at 67 adjusted weight, and suggests I shoot a 350 (their 340 spine), and I am one box away from needing the 340 spine for the GT chart..

I have noticed some minor minnowing of my arrows when I shoot, and have paper tuned my bow as well as having the shop check it to make sure the cam timing and everything is correct. However, my arrows hit where I aim out to 50 yards. Trying to figure out if any of the erratic flight is caused by spine or if it is hand torque.

I do have some Carbon Express Piledrivers that I could shoot, but I don't know if those are the 340 or 400 spine off the top of my head but I believe they are 400 spine as well. Do I really need to go out and get new arrows or am I ok where I am? I don't want to change the setup for my MR6 at the moment as that is my primary bow, but I may start changing my secondary setup.

2. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If all the charts said you are good and you are hitting where you aim everytime up to 50 yards I dont see a need to change anything. The only way I would say it would help was maybe your confidence in the equipment, which seems like you are worried about already. Maybe try a 340 and see how that works for you and then make a choice from there. But like I said if you are hitting where you aim I dont see a reason to change. I coudl be way off but thats just my 2 cents.

3. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me you are just right.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your shooting 100grains up front you should be fine

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the same thing. Your equipment list shows 125 grain G5 Montec. You might try 100 grain or lighter broadhead and see if that helps. you might also check for slight contact of fletching on rest. had that when I used a tall stiff vane and the arrow had a consistent slight side to side wobble that surprisingly was accurate 20-40 yards.

6. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checked fletching contact and there isn't any. I get less wobble with a 125 grain head than I do with a 100 grain head. I'll be doing both though. The 125 grain heads for my MR6 and 100 grains for my Chill.

7. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out of ideas. guess if this was easy it wouldn't be fun. best of luck with it