Is lithium's worth the extra cost?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Tmpky, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am having issues with 2 stealth cams i got for Christmas this year. I set them up in the woods for 2 months and when i collected the cards i found some issues. One camera after the 12th or 14th day out the night pictures went to black. The second cam randomly cuts pictures in half only capturing the top part of the picture and leaving the rest black.

I contacted customer services and they put me through the reset and format. Then he stated that this probably all happened due to using alkaline batteries and because trailcampro.com states that most problems are created by them.

Is this for real? This is my first camera that uses AA batteries all the others use C's (the ones using C's were low quality cameras but got he job done with out "malfunction". I understand the model i got from stealth cam is the low of the low but surprisingly the pictures it did capture during the day and the ones that weren't cut in half look pretty good for the price range.

I just want some opinions from people that have used lithium over alkaline if its worth the 15 dollars every time i set out a trail cam.

2. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've ran both in cameras and never noticed any difference besides lithiums lasted longer. Throw some in and see what happens? When they start selling lithium batteries at coscto in mega packs i'll switch over otherwise its about 16 bucks to put batteries in a camera.

3. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    I found them(Lithium batteries) well worth the extra $'s!

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think lithiums will make any difference for your issue but I do think they perform better than alkilines, especially during the cold weather. I will use them in cameras that are left out all winter but mainly I use rechargeables for the savings.

Blessings............Pastorjim

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they keep a camera working vs not working, then I'd say they are worth it.
    I've used both and never had a problem with either. I did have one camera out in severe cold with alkalines tha twent completely flat and the batteries started leaking and caused some corrosion but I'd say that was more my fault than anything else.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My experience is like everyone else's. Cold weather a must. Any other time...... I'll spend my money elsewhere.
    Sounds like you have other issues with your cameras but maybe the new ones are different.

7. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run rechargeable for the most part but also have good luck with Dollar store batteries the $5.50 for 20 pack ones

I would say the half and half pic camera has a stuck filter and not a battery issue and both may have the same issue as a stuck filter will cause black night pics also

If its not a black flash turn it on in a dark room and see if the IR's are firing

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cold weather I use lithium otherwise alkaline rest of the year.

Best purchases I make every year are the 48 pack of Rayovacs when they are on rebate for $6 at Menards.

9. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would cost me over $200 just to get all my cameras fired up with lithiums.
    I get good enough battery life out of cheap batteries I can't justify spending the money on the lithiums.

10. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to contact stealth cam again start of next week to get a RMA since they are still doing it. I will keep you updated.

11. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i just got DURACELL for $22.00 with shipping i got 8 lithiums for$16.00 they say 18000 pictures with them on the duracells i get 8000 to 9000 pictures for say $2.00 yes you have change them 3 times more but thats $10.00 less now im in NC its not that cold as up north

12. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to run liths in both cameras I own. Not wondering if I need to change the batteries is well worth it for peace of mind...not that this is life or death. I just don't mind spending a few extra bucks knowing I do not have to be concerned with battery life through an entire season in the big woods. In my backyard it is a bit different. I can check the camera any day...so, if I see the battery low, can easily swap them out.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have ran both and I saw a little better battery life with lithium, but not worth me using them exclusively.

14. Art

Art Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blog really good blog post here on batteries and trail cameras

15. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I run Rayovacs from Menard's and try to get them on sale.

Coldest they seen and worked was -37°.

I understand the performance side of lithiums but personally have had no troubles with Rayovacs. One cam (2012 black60) is going on a year and 4 months nonstop and still reads 5 on the meter as of today.

16. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine were the same. Out for 2 months with over 600 pictures on each camera and the camera said they were full life.

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ** ARE lithiums worth the extra cost? :lol: couldn't help myself...

I have used rayovacs in all my cams. I ran them all winter through -40 temps and when I checked this spring they still had 7 bars left.

I've left them out from spring through the end of summer over a mineral site taking thousands of pics and they were at 8 bars.

Will always buy cheapies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whst are your settings on ur cameras? or what camera? i get nowhere near that much life out of my rayovacs

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 covert mp e5 that are 3 years or older. Takes pic anytime the trigger is hit (no delays).

My 12mp moultrie eats them a little quicker... But even that I ran it all summer on 30 sec video mode. A storm blew the tree over and it took hundreds of videos of grass and they were still at 4 power.

It really depends on the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always just used the cheapest batteries i can find, especially in the summer. When you run as many cams as i do you have no choice really.