Is it just me or are things pretty slow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had to work, that's why! :) Getting ready to head out in a bit. According to F&S, today is one of six days that everyone should be out hunting. We'll see.

2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are not the only one.

Something that is not talked about much in the deer hunting world is just that. Most people that take vacation for bowhunting in the midwest do so in the first two weeks of November. It has not always been this way. I wonder how big of an impact we see on herd harvest, deer movement and overall pressure because of the primary focus on these two weeks.

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    November 10th-15th-ish is always the peak buck killing. Don't rush it. ;)

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slow in central Wisconsin, I don't even have the night time movement.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't see any decent bucks last weekend. I'm off from work Nov 2-10. I'm hoping things will pick up by next weekend.

6. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I have next week off! :tu:

7. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been experiencing about average movement compared to other years. Have some 2-3 year old deer showing up last hour of light. This week should be exciting for mature buck movement picking up. Tonight should be good if the wind dies down tonight in iowa. Rain and some light snow moving into Iowa over next few days. Halloween night is looking prime.

8. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm feelin ya Justin. Things are way slow for me as well. Sat morning and evening yesterday in a couple great spots. Morning I got blanked, and afternoon we saw 1 small buck and 1 doe. My trail cams aren't showing hardly any buck movement either.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Im getting slow mornings and action evenings. Seeing plenty of Bucks but the biggest has been an 8 around 105" Im finding scrapes and there hitting Mock scrapes as well. Im going with calm before the storm. Im waiting a little longer before going to my hot spots!

10. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted 4 times this weekend in southern IL and while we did see several scrapes we didn't see hardly any deer. It was all last light scenerios and they were either does or spike bucks.

I thought for sure the cold mornings would get them moving but that wasn't the case.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's about to break wide open boys & girls. I'd say within the next 7 days.

12. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely been slow on the property that I hunt. I'm seeing the 3.5 year olds and younger on every sit, but nothing bigger. And honestly, I'm not getting pics of hardly any older age class bucks. There are only 2 that I've gotten any pics of. One is old as dirt and pretty well nocturnal and the other travels quite a bit. The last week of October is usually one of my best times on the property, but definitely not this year. None of the bucks have even seemed interested in the does. They're all bristling up to each other and making scrapes, but none of them are even checking the does at all. Maybe I'm just in too big of a hurry, I don't know.

13. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been slow this year for me also. I think it is due to a lot of crops still in. Our farm has corn still standing and I think that is limiting some normal activity this time of year. Starting to see some new bucks moving, but still at night.

This past weekend was also very windy and I believe that kept them bedded more. Don't know if I'm right on these ideas, but that is my belief. Hoping corn gets picked this week. It was just such a late spring for crops.

14. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had one shooter show up at last light on saturday. Had a doe bedded 40 yds from my stand from about 1130 till dark, and she could have cared less about that buck. He hung up at 60 yds and would not come any closer, paid no attention to the doe at all. Not seeing much on cams at all for the last month and a half.

15. ntjohnnson

ntjohnnson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was ridiculously slow here up until last week. Since then we've seen 7-8 good bucks moving during the day time in the past 4 days. Warmer temps are headed this way so I'm kinda curious as to how that will effect deer movement.

16. Doublelung1977

Doublelung1977 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the full moon in late october i expected this. Oct.31-nov.7 is going to be out of control good. Just like every year but this year it will be killer with the new moon nov3. As you can see with the posts as we move further from full moon kills are picking up.

17. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your right I have a nice 4 day weekend coming up Nov 1st-4th and I would really like to see better movement then I have been seeing.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The dark period and perigee are coming up shortly fellas...next two weeks will be explosion! Scrape galore on the forest floor today I noticed when recovering my buck.

19. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen a deer yet. This is my 10th sit of the year. Weather isn't the greatest but today I'm hanging on hoping the wind slows down. Im hoping the first week of Nov is better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

20. wrassjd

wrassjd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree. I have been out at least a dozen times this year. The one doe I have seen, I shot and just got the meat back today. My first deer ever by the way. And now I get the whole "meat in the freezer" thing...wow! Anyway, I'm really hoping it heats up soon. I'm sure I'm doing the right things, scent free, playing the wind, and good, quiet entry/exit...just no deer to be seen, yet...