Is Deer Hunting a Rich Man’s Game?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Anthony2991 and buckeyehntr5 like this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great article, spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really enjoyed that article and, I find it to be spot on also.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well written.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great article. I drive a 20-year-old paid for vehicle because I would rather my wife be a stay-at-home mom and I still get an out-of-state hunt every two or three years than drive a brand new $60,000 truck only to the parking deck at work.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While the article makes salient points about how to afford the current financial reality’s of deer hunting it falls short in addressing the effects that the over monetization of the sport has on hunter recruitment and retention.
    Nothing is hurting the future of hunting more then commoditization of wildlife and access to wildlife. Study after study shows lack of access is the number one reason for hunters dropping out of the ranks. To gloss over this reality doesn’t doesn’t change that.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  7. Antlers135

Antlers135 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Exactly. If you don't own your own property, hunting is just a short term adventure. And, the MAJORITY cannot afford land. I have ask numerous times on hunting forums the age old question " how many of the so called diehard hunters have went out of their way to recruit a new hunter to hunt on their land." As of this statement I literally haven't received a single yes.

8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Idk how it is everywhere but can say around here when it comes to land access hunter cut their own throat more than the land owners do. If you own land you can pretty much name your price and someone will pay, and if it's good enough land before long someone will come in and pay more. There was just a farm that sold pretty close to me and it's basically only good for hunting or running cows, really rough ground, and it sold for 5k/acre at a auction. At most it's worth about 2.5k. Can't remember the acreage but wanna say 100-150.

Theres another 80 acre farm pretty much next to where I hunt that has changed hands 3 times in last few years because someone will buy it for only hunting and they end up upside down with the bank. So now it way overpriced too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never owned good deer land. I have hunted private by permission, not leased and leased as well. I have tried to get new hunters on those opportunities with some success or just made sure a buddy or 2 could get on as well. I have hunted a ton of public land which I do sort of "own" and it's never seemed short term. I think the point of the article was pretty well laid out and yes access is a problem, but that doesnt mean you can't hunt unless you have a ton of money. Perception of success at hunting meaning a 5k guided elk hunt, a booner in Kansas trip or whatever all while wearing Sitka, shooting a flag ship bow and paying exorbitant taxi fees to show off on insta may need adjustment for the regular Joe. Well at least that may not be everyone's reality. The problem with access seems to be a separate and very important point that maybe a short themed web article could include in another installment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    except maybe some Eastern states and a little bit here in IL, I think "lack of access" is mostly BS. Most of the people whining about that seem to expect to be able to walk out their back door and hunt. That's rarely the case.

while I do hunt 40 acres that a friend owns, the vast majority of my hunting over the past 30 years has been public.
    I have encounters almost daily, I shoot deer almost every year, and even usually have 1-2 encounters with 140"+ deer every year.

I've come close to pulling the trigger on buying dedicated private hunting land a few times, but I realized that I'd get bored. At least on the 100 or less acres that I could ever afford. One thing hunting my buddy's 40 has shown me just how small 40 acres hunt for 2 people. It's all woods and it still feels like we're almost on top of each other. I sure wouldn't gun hunt it with more than 3 people.

The G has more public access land than I'll ever be able to hunt in my lifetime. But I'll die trying.

The one disagreement I have with the article was this line:

"Now more than ever it’s easier to lease land. No matter your budget, you can find a lease in a price range that you can afford."
    Sorry, that's BS. Plenty of hunters, in fact I'd venture to say the majority; can't afford a decent lease. But it still doesn't mean there aren't public opportunities.

Hillbilly Jedi and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
  12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    https://responsivemanagement.com/research-topics/hunting/

“Reasons that take away from hunting satisfaction generally relate to access and crowding issues as well as a lack of time due to work or family obligations. In one Responsive Management study, three of the four most common reasons that inactive hunters stopped hunting related to time constraints. “

13. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could see crowding issues during gun season, at least here in Wisconsin during the 9 day gun season. Mainly due to the fact that it's a short season compared to archery season and the fact that there are so many people still that gun hunt and for many of them that may be the only time they step foot into the woods all year. If you're a bow hunter though and willing to out in some work you can almost always find a good spot to hunt.

dnoodles likes this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I surmise that laziness is the largest contributor to the perception of a lack of places to hunt. Probably followed closely by lack of time to invest finding more access.

I would certainly agree with that last part. I do tend to look at things through the viewpoint of one who primarily bowhunts. That being said, what do people expect from a gun season? Hundreds of acres to hunt with no intrusion? Dream on. Unrealistic expectation.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  15. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are plenty of people out there who make it a rich sport. 95% of the hunting shows you see on TV are unrealistic for the common feller and set expectations far too high IMO. From private land, to sponsors, to high $ farming equipment, food plots, etc. The money they spend never ends if you get deep into it. There are far too many shows in all media spectrum's and one of the big things they key on is every brand name they have all the way down to their underwear. Frankly I'm getting bored of shows who change sponsors every so often, for whatever reason, an then all you see is ads about the stuff. You either use the gear because it works, or $hit can it if it doesn't. Not because you get a discount. Unfortunately the bottom line with most things in life is money. But I'll digress...

Look at the guys from The Hunting Public. They do it all DIY, don't have fancy equipment, vehicles or anything. They camp in tents and campgrounds to hunt on public land, not a fancy lodge with meals made for them. And about the only product they ever talk about using or "plugging" is OnX Maps. They are down to earth blue collar guys getting it done and I have a lot of respect for them and the way they hunt.

This doesn't mean I have less respect for any other hunting show. I love Steve Rinella from Meat Eater, Tim Burnett & Remi Warren from SOLO HNTR. They have a bigger budget and most of their hunts are DIY with over the counter or draw tags just like us. I just like the fact THP does it on a common folk budget and doesn't plug 50 sponsors every 5 minutes.

Bottom line is hunting can be cheap or expensive. If you have the money to make it easier or nicer for you, have at it. I won't judge you any different. But if you don't have a big bank roll, you can still get it done and I do have a little more respect for the hunters getting it done on a blue collar budget.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you last statement. Easier in theory but if there are good bucks on the lease, the price will go higher to a point where the blue collar guy can't afford it.

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I just think it mostly boils down to commitment. If you love to hunt, you'll make it your priority and you will create opportunities. You will do your online and field scouting, go out and knock on doors, go to meet and greets and 3d shoots, ask for permission, etc. You'll skip a few dinner dates, drive older cars, drink High Life instead of Budweiser, etc.

Like I said, being rich or poor doesn't factor in to it at all. It's about prioritization.

Certainly agree with all of that; especially the bold part.

No fancy clothes, stands, or even "flagship" bows. They're driving 15 year old trucks and camping on public land in tents and an old camper. And most importantly, they have a great time with friends and family and absolutely SLAY big deer - all on public land and mostly in unfamiliar places.

Swamp Stalker and Hillbilly Jedi like this.
  18. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky enough to hunt about 50 acres of private land, (25 are huntable) however I don't own it myself. I've gotten to know the property owner very well and he pretty much gives me run of the place to bring who I want. The turkey hunting is spectacular and over the last 2 years, I've taken 3 of my buddies and 2 of their boys out there and they've all been successful. And for every one of them it was their first ever hunt or animal harvest.

But there are certain things I look for in people I take or want to hunt the property with me. I work with quite a few hunters and have only taken 2 with me one day. And the reason I took them was because of their attitude. Others I'm very reluctant to have out there. Don't ask me 2 days or the day before the season opens if I'm going to be there. Damn right I'm gonna be there and you know I am. I've spent the last 2 months out there setting up trail cameras, waking up early to scout and see what the birds are doing. I don't technically have the right to tell you no since I don't own the land but I'd really prefer you not come on opening morning when I don't expect you to be there, move to within 30 yards of my blind and try to shoot the birds off the road in front of me. Yes this really happened, yes he knew exactly where my blind was and no, I won't invite this person back on the property or make it easy for him to wander around out there and screw up the hard work I've put into the place. He obviously doesn't get it and frankly if he doesn't understand that on his own....he'll be hunting a lot more on his own.

Whoa... sorry about the rant there. But you get the point. If you can, take friends and their kids to hunt. Teach them the right way to hunt, respect the land and other hunters. You'll always run into "those" guys but I think they are fewer and farther in between than most think.

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha! I'm not sure if there's a huge savings between High Life and Budweiser! :lmao2:

20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    HL is a touch more than 1/2 the price of Bud. $12/30 vs. $16/24
    even closer to half price w/ 12 packs