Is a hang on stand worth it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, Aug 5, 2016.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking about saving for a new hang on stand and set of sticks but i am hesitant because i hunt small acres of land and already carry a light climber on my back and the only reason i am thinking about a hang on stand is so i have less to carry in, just my pack bow and a few sticks (2-3) so is it worth it?
    Thanks, Paul B.

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have no worries in theft then yes it is worth it. You still have your climber to change it up if necessary.
    Nothing like walking in and setting up quickly and quietly.

Posted by another member here rogerssportinggoods.com has some good stands with free shipping.

3. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only use hang ons. You can't get in every tree with a climber you can with most hang ons wether it's angled or has branches in the way you can hang sticks around them to get up and most hang ons can angle to the slope of the tree so your still sitting level. Climbers are a pain trying to find a good tree that's tall enough with nothing in the way of climbing and you can't leave them up if you have that option like a hang on I'll leave my stand up and carry in my sticks or only take my 2 bottom sticks on public were I can leave a stand up I use 4 to 5 sticks though. And I just hate having to climb a tree up and down with a climber it so much easier with sticks and a lifeline but That's why I use hang ons and that's just my opinion.

4. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said.....^^^^ Some hang ons like the Millennium M-50 offer a mounting system so you can pre-hang the mount and sticks/steps, then take the stand with you to reduce theft or observation. That way you can set up a few stand locations on private ground and hunt wherever you want based on changing food sources or wind direction with a single platform. I don't know about you, but I work up a sweat setting up any stand and having the work done other than dropping the stand into the mount is as convenient as it gets.

5. PureBred

PureBred Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone above....If you have a set location you are hunting...regardless of the size tract IMO you cant beat walking in and climbing right up the tree quiet and efficiently as compared to toting in a climber, setting it up, or even leaving a climber at the base and climbing the tree in the morning. Plus I love just having the comfort of a solid set of sticks and lock-on.

I'd say its worth it....especially early season whenever the temps are so high.

6. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once used climbing stand but after using hanging stands for one season I sold all of my climbers.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    simply put...yes

8. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is a frogs azz water tight??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PureBred

PureBred Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:

10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Well.

Are you going to tell us the answer?????

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes a Hang-on is worth it. It gives you more options when it comes to trees. You can hang it on trees with a lot of limbs to get the best Back Cover.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  12. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a millennium and you'll never go back to a climber... Most of my talking points have been mentioned above. The "perfect" climber stand RARELY gives you adequate cover.

BHA