Is 100 grains too light

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 450rdawg, Aug 31, 2009.

1. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was at my local shop today trying to figure out why my bow is a little loud. I shoot the CE Maxima 250's. They are 28" and I have 100 grain tips on them. When shooting, my guy at the shop says "try this 125 grain tip". So I did and wow, it was quite a bit quieter. Not trying to sound stupid but why would that matter and how does it work out like that? I'm all for it but I'm also wondering if I change to the Maxima Hunter if it would help. Any info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Josh

2. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    100 grains is not too light. Some people shoot 75 gr. depending on their set-up.
    By using the 125 gr. point you have increased the over-all arrow weight. The heavier arrow adsorbs more of the bow's force, and therefore is quiter. The maximum hunters are slightly heavier(0 .7 grains-per-inch) so that would make your bow quieter, also.
    15-20 years ago 125 gr broadheads were the norm.

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, your arrows are a fair bit stiff with the 100gr tip and are better with the 125gr tip although your still probably a bit stiff. The heavier arrow, even though it's not much heavier, and the closer to "tune" probably help quiet your bow down.