Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Iowa Shed Hunting, foot of snow!

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Hoytpro24, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hoytpro24

Hoytpro24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone. I'm here in Iowa where we have a foot of snow on the ground. Is it possible for me to still shed hunt? Any tips or advice for a beginner? I've never been shed hunting before! Thanks everyone. :D

2. iashedhunter90

iashedhunter90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I'm here in Southern Iowa and all this snow does make it much tougher. Most of early drops are covered and anything to small goes right through the fluffy type snow we have. The good part is that it is easy to tell where the deer are feeding, moving and bedding. I would concentrate on any food source then walk trails. I have a standing bean field that is tore up so something like that would be a good place to start.
    I have seen alot of bucks still carrying though. In a couple weeks I will hit it hard for a couple months. Hopefully we will get a warm spell to get rid of some snow depth.
    Not for awhile though looks like.
    Good luck. just getting out is great and I try to make it a family activity. The more eyes the better.

3. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, still early here too. I've gotten 1 picture of a buck with 1 side missing out of about 20 bucks I'm following. If you can control the areas you shed hunt (keep tresspassers / other shed hunters out), then I'd wait until the end of January / beginning of February. Then plan on re-shed hunting those same areas every couple weeks until April if you want to find as many as possible.

4. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum Hoytpro24!

It sounds like you have already received some solid advice. I would have to agree that not many bucks will have dropped their antlers yet in Iowa.

5. Hoytpro24

Hoytpro24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, thanks everyone! I'll go scouting a bit by trails. Maybe just sit up in my stand and see if I can see any movement and where they are going. Go back out in a few weeks after some of this snow is gone and see what I can find! My brother just found a nice 10 pointer ( skull still intact ) on the side of the gravel road in Kansas!