Iowa Non-resident question

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by pastorbigdan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping someone will clarify the process a bit. I know the application starts in May and we are working on a small group which means everyone has to know my account. I have been working w/ my guide but im not clear on the points. I realize we are 3 yrs or so out from being picked, so do we need to apply for the licence or just the preference points? And if we only need preference points, is there any advantage to applying for the licence. My guide says to apply for everything and they will refund the $ when we don't get picked. The Iowa website isn't all that clear. That in advance.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cal the Iowa DNR License section at 1-800-367-1188. They should be able to answer your questions and steer you in the right direction.

3. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
  4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any points yet? What zone are you applying for? Is your group going to bow hunt?

What outfitter are you using?

5. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    So, no points yet but we are in the beginning stages of planning. Bow hunting for sure, planning a rut tumeframe hunt. We are looking at zone 5 and I have a guide from MO who also guides Iowa but haven't fully settled on that yet. Few other options are being talked about. It looks like it will be a 5 guy group and the stats say 2021 at this point. Any information would be be appreciated. Thx

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is zero reason to put in for a license this year or next. You will not draw zone 5 so just buy your point. You could put in for the license year 3 but would most likely draw until 2021 like you said.

pastorbigdan likes this.
  7. Dan Boedigheimer

Dan Boedigheimer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, what Monster Raxx said is spot on. I was in the same situation a few years back, although we were freelancing in allamakee county. The point system is basically the same as Zone 5, usually requiring at LEAST 3 years worth of preference points to get a tag. Save the hassle of sending in your money and just buy the preference points. The state does send your money back if not awarded a tag but they get to hang onto it for almost five months.