intro and new bow advice/guidance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WhiteMike, Aug 13, 2016.

1. WhiteMike

WhiteMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    new member here. I live in the northern panhandle of Idaho and am not new to hunting but I have never bow hunted. I just bought a house on a nice chunk of land and have seen 4 different bucks and 2 spike elk, also a handful of turkeys and some coyotes. threw a trail cam, mineral lick and a stand out back to keep the white tail around. I started thinking I dont want to shoot my 7mm magnum on my poperty, id like to get a bow to keep it quiet and keep the wildlife hanging around. ive been wanting to get into archery for a while since most of my friends do it, now i have a reason to pulll the trigger on it. IMG_1057.jpg IMG_1060.jpg being a beginner i figured id go cheap and buy a package. i narrowed it down to the diamond infinite edge pro package based on reviews but alot of people said the accessories in the package are cheap and they replaced them, and it also seemed like a bow more geared towards kids. i didnt want to break the bank and buy a super nice bow since i have no experience but now im thinking i should just buy nice and not buy twice. Id like to get something ill be happy with and able to use for a long time that would also be able to down an elk with ease. Something that i can take to the mountains with an archery tag and not just drop white tail and turkeys in my yard. I would still like to keep it in total under 600$ for everything id need. Looking for some recommendations as i have no idea where to start. Thanks!:rock:

heres a couple pictures of one of the elk

2. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. The thing about archery hunting/shooting is that it is highly addictive and once u start u wont be able to stop lol. And buying bows and trying different bows becomes addictive as well. If i were you id buy something used and for 600 bucks u should be able to get a pretty nice set up that will last you as long as you would like it to with normal stuff you gotta do like replace the string ex... Also if you wanna buy new go to a archery shop and shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on and that way they can point you in the right direction with your draw length so if you do buy used you no what yours is. Do your research and dont be afraid to ask no question is a dumb one if you dont no the answer/outcome.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

3. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Infinite Edge Pro is not a bad way to go. The PSE Stinger ready to hunt package, or the PSE Brute (if they still make it) are also pretty good entry level bows. I would not recommend a used bow until you are very familiar with your equipment. If you buy used from a pro shop that would be a different story. $600 should get you a pretty decent setup.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that you've joined us here. Lots of good info.

You say that you've got good friends that bow hunt and as I recall, there are several good bow shops in your area, so I would visit a good shop and talk with them. Shoot every bow that they will let you. Often times a bow shop will have a used bow around at a good price. When you find a bow that feels right in your hand and puts arrows where you want them to go...... buy it.

5. WhiteMike

WhiteMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the advice. i am going to cabelas today to shoot the bowtech cabelas credence bow
    Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

my friends tell me to get a hoyt, thats what they all have, but i know theyre pretty expensive. i might shoot one but i dont think ill spend that much on my first bow. i may upgrade the sight on this bow right off the bat... any tips for what to look for?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a PSE Drive in 2013, now called the "Drive R". Ready to shoot, for 499. Check them out if you want. The accessories are decent. I love the bow.

Tags: