Interview

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Page, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been in the same job for the last 18 years. I have an interview at a new company next Tuesday, I feel as though I'm extremely qualified for the job but I'm still nervous.
    It's been a LONG time since I've been in an interview...this may be an absolutely terrible place to ask but...

Any tips or pointers?

Dress is business casual with safety toe boots if I have them (I do but they are about worn out and look like crap). Do I go with khakis and a button down shirt with my beat up boots or wear my good boots (not safety toe) and be more presentable?

The other option is a nice pair of jeans and a button down shirt that would go considerably better with my steel toe boots....what say you?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’d say khakis and good boots. If you feel like the interview team is giving your non- safety toe boots the evil eye you can let them know you have the right boots but they are in no shape to be worn for an interview. Never hurts to look your best for first impressions and make them feel like their opinion matters to you. Unkept appearance never made it to a second interview in my experience.

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    DC4B423D-B249-4B3D-BB37-5156CA3C5277.gif

MnHunterr and Fix like this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A man's work shows in his boots, wear the safety ones. Do yourself a favor and have a few great questions about the company. Look at their eyes when you talk and their mouth when they talk. Don't interrupt, swear, or show bias or affiliation. Write a thank you by hand to the person you meet with addressed by name. All else fails rub one out before you go to be relaxed

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  6. OmarLittle

OmarLittle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have an interview next week, and I've been at my current job for about a long as you, so I know how nervous you must feel.

I'd go with the nice boots. At my job they do have external protection you can slip on over your boots if they take you on a tour of the floor.

What type of job is it? In my experience be prepared with real world examples from your work history. Questions that start with Tell me about a time..... are common

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be yourself!
    Good luck.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do research on the company before the interview so you can ask thoughtful questions.

9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they state that dress is "business casual, with safety boots if you have them", then they are planning to do a tour of the work area as part of the interview process. They will provide something for the folks that don't have their own.
    I'd say wear your nice boots, but have a pack with the well worn steel toes in it so you can change into your own set for the tour. There will be time to change into them, while the others that don't have their own are setup with something for them to wear.
    If they ask why you didn't just wear them, simply state that they are well used and you didn't consider them "interview worthy". Won't bother them a bit and will likely impress them. So many come in way too casual for interviews these days, they'll appreciate that you wanted to look sharp for the interview but followed their instructions in bringing some steel toes with you.
    Interviewers want to feel like you're looking for long term employment. They want you to have the integrity to do the right thing even when no one is watching. They want you to calmly attempt to solve your own troubles before running straight to a supervisor, but recognize quickly when the supervisor needs to be brought in. They want to hear examples of past experiences where you were faced with a problem and how you reacted to it, either a positive outcome or a not so positive outcome but you learned from it (within reason of course).

10. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some very solid advice right here.

Mod-it likes this.
  11. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the advice from all.
    This is what I have decided to do. I'll take them with me and change into them if I need to do so.
    I'll let you guys know how it goes

Mod-it and JeffC like this.
  12. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again for all of the advice. Recruiter called this afternoon and said I will have an official offer next week!

MnHunterr, Mod-it, JeffC and 4 others like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats.