Instinctive or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by RyanW, Jan 4, 2018.

1. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just curious how many of you shoot instinctively vs sighting down the shaft or some other aiming method? I have been shooting my recurve in the summer and I'm not very consistent. I learned to shoot instinctively with a recurve when I was young (6-9 or 10). I switched to a compound at 10 or 11, so its been a while since I've done a lot of instinctive shooting. I'm thinking I just need to stick with instinctive shooting and in 8 or 10 thousand shots I'll regain my form?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I focus on a spot and when I am at full draw the arrow will be pointed at the target. I think regardless of how you decide to aim, as your form improves so will your shooting..
    Chris

3. sam beerman

sam beerman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive found with instinctive archery i need to shoot every day in order to stay accurate. Practicing with the same anchor point and same form is key, your mind will make minor adjustments in aim as you practice.

4. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, the replies make a lot of sense.

5. varmint101

varmint101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot without using the arrow as a reference however I do see it in my vision. Not sure if I split it or not as I just focus on a spot within the spot and do it. I've found that good form and repeatability no matter how you're shooting is what will help you. You have to use the same anchor point every time, extend and pull through every time. If you have a floating/moving anchor or weak bow arm it just won't work consistently. That was my biggest problem was an inconsistent anchor. Whatever your shooting method you try you need to stick with it at least a few weeks to truly get a feel if it is going to work or not. All my opinion of course and there are a lot of them! I tell ya if you're building from the ground up right now or just looking to do something else I'd look into The Push on YouTube and they have a great podcast as well. Matt Z. can shoot and knows what he's talking about.

6. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Becoming a proficient shot with a stick bow requires a lot more commitment then any other type of bow. That being said, proper form and knowing how to correct your flaws is the difference between shooting sessions ending on a successful note or total frustration. If you have the time, look for some of the better books or programs to help start your own training program. Begin with your target at 10 yards and practice proper draw, anchor and release. When you get really tight groups move back 10 yards.

7. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think having a consistent anchor will be a problem. I always shot two under one over as a kid and anchored with the tip of my index finger in the corner of my mouth. The first time I drew a recurve last year I did the same without thinking and the anchor point felt like "home". My ability to hit where I look didn't weather as well. As far as properly drawing a bow........I have no idea what that means.