Injury may end my bowhunting for the year.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Txjourneyman, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :bash: I may be done bow hunting this year. It sucks! Here at work we have been installing a new scoreboard in the gym. It is large, bulky, and heavy. there are seven panels that make up the 23' x 17' board. While hoisting a LED message board in place an accident happened, we're still not really sure what it was that failed but this $12,000 board started to fall. I managed to stop the board from falling but managed to jack my right elbow up pretty good. My elbow took all the weight of the board,(190 lbs), for about 1/2 a minute until it could be resecured to the hoist and lifted off my arm. We had safety ropes in place but the board would have to fall another 3 feet for the ropes to take tension. If that happened the board would have hit the man lift I was in and damaged the board beyond repair. I guess I took one for the team.
    I haven't yet sought medical attention. We'll see how things progress. My elbow is swollen and my right bicep is pretty sore as well. If there is not a dramatic improvement by tomorrow I'll see a MD.
    I tried to shoot when I got home last night and it hurt like a ,(install choice cuss word here). I took 4 shots with the Marquis, could hardly hold at full draw, and that was all I could stand. I then tried the longbow and couldn't get it drawn.
    Interestingly my arm felt better after putting the bows away. Maybe it needed to be stretched out or something? Who knows. I know if there isn't a big improvement by the weekend I'll have to knock the dust off my muzzleloader because I can't bowhunt like this.
    I'll keep you posted on my recovery.

2. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    hey bro hang in there! it'll feel better... if it aint broke, keep moving it (ice and heat) and it'll come back... damn that sucks

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not what I was wanting to hear Greg!!!:evil:

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That totally sucks. I would get it checked out right away regardless of how it is feeling. If something is seriously wrong insurance companies get really funny about you waiting. Hope it heals quickly for you!

5. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That really sucks! I wish you a speedy recovery!

6. Camo500EFI

Camo500EFI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. Just lay off it for a week then start using it on a minimal basis and stretch it alot.

7. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel for ya, I hunted three season ago with a fractured elbow. My elbow is still jacked up because I kept getting in and out of stands and shot a couple deer. Make sure you see a doctor, I waited to long!

8. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should go to the Doc anyway! Don't take chances with your arrow slinger! Get it fixed right so it don't bother you in the future! lp

9. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that man! You should probably get it checked out to be on the safe side!

10. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Please go see the doctor. My shoulder is still messed up but I have inflammation in my upper arm under control and can now shoot again. I hope it heals up and your season can continue.

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer, at least my injury was healed up by the time the season opened.

Who knows you might make it back in no time. Hopefully it'll just be sore and bruised for a bit.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's rough man, I hate that for you. Definitely keep us updated on what happens...

You could always shoot a crossbow!!:ninja:

13. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man, go see a doctor. Never screw around w/a joint injury. They take longer to heal/rehab. Since it's a job related injury, take off the time necessary to get that thing fixed. You took one for the team, they can give you one back. Hope you heal soon, & that sux that it's in the huntn' season.

14. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take this guys advice, he's a paramedic and a good guy.

15. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds kind of like a hyper extension. I used to do it ALL the time in Basketball. It hurts...mine eventually devoloped into tendonitis that I still have in my left elbow. I hope yours heals up. Elbow injuries are not fun. You do a lot with them.