In season scouting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Josh/OH, Oct 4, 2008.

1. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my personal opinion(I've never killed a monster so it might not matter) I would give him a couple of weeks, and see if you can catch him moving in day light hours. Then, later in the season I might try something more aggressive later in the season.

2. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You really limit your hunting time by waiting.... In a week or two he might be bedded near some does 2 miles away. I do much better hunting patterned bucks early and late season. I do agree you have a few good days just prior to the prerut but then he will start moving to where the does are... No buck is nocturnal... They all move around there staging and safe zones in daylight. I would push the envelope and move in for the kill.

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Dan you just made my decision easier I was just talking to Dukemichaels about this
    very thing. I told him it seems every damn year I end up playing the waiting game because
    of fear of failure I think you call it but not anymore. Me and LW are going to go on a killing spree you can
    count on that.

T

4. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt aggressively all season long and looking back at my success I have taken far more big bucks opening week than during the entire rut.

5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, with out reading your post I tried the waiting game last night and you're right, didn't feel right to me. I hunted the south side of the farm where the does are concentrated, saw a few but was too dark to shoot, and let's face it, does are just not on my mind at the moment. I decided to get agressive tonight and head for his bedding area. It was windy but a perfect direction for my approach. I got within 60 yards of where he was bedded last weekend but he just wasn't in there tonight. Due to a hectic work/school schedule, I'm only able to hunt on weekends. So am I better off hunting near the does next weekend, or give the buck's bed one more shot?