Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

In response to DJH’s posts:

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by konrad, Mar 12, 2011.

1. konrad

konrad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t believe the use of the crossbow in a hunting application needs defending. The same arguments were used during the transition from flint lock to percussion, single shot to repeater, muzzle loader to metallic cartridge and repeaters to semi-automatic in firearms development.

“You’re going to kill all of the game.”
    “The game animal has no chance.”
    “You are not a real man using that thing.”

Even today’s “traditional” archery equipment uses carbon composites, synthetic fibers, space age alloys and computer assisted designs.

It seems to me the real discussion should be about ethical hunting not about wheels and levers and gizmos.

2. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%, i Could care less about what people shoot as long that it is done ethicly. The only one problem we have around here with most "Crossbow Hunters" is that they take the easy way out on everything and it most cases we tend to disagree.

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree as far as methods but, I do have a problem with the misconception that a crossbow is more accurate, can shoot farther distances and holds more kinetic energy than does a standard compound bow. This may be true when comparing a 175lb crossbow with a 45lb draw compound bow but, not when compared to your average hunters bow. I know too many rifle hunters that buy a cross bow because they have this misconception and only buy them to take advantage of the extra days they can hunt. Most of the guys I know that shoot crossbows never practice with them. They will shoot them once or twice to make sure they are sighted in somewhat and then its off to the tree stand or blind. Most of which have missed a few and have still not taken a whitetail with one. I know this is the case with some bow hunters too but, much less the case than with the crossbow hunters I know. I really think that most of the guys that shoot them around here anyways, buy them for all the wrong reasons. I don't have anything against crossbows and will probably one day buy one when I can no longer draw back a compound but, I seriously hope that that day is a long ways off.