I'm back

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from spending the weekend at Grant Woods Proving Grounds, what a beautiful farm and area of the country. Unfortunately the main event day was almost a complete washout and cold as a witch's teet. It was still a lot of fun though. I got to meet the owner of Eagle seeds and the owner of Scent Crusher. Had a nice visit with Grant and his crew and won a gift bag of Code Blue gear at he dinner Saturday evening after a fantastic dinner.
    Pretty sure this was the last one of these field days they are doing so I feel lucky to have gotten the chance to go. Grant invited us back in nice weather for a private viewing of the entire farm since we had a cold washout Saturday. That'd be a blast. I also got 150 pounds of plot rock! 6 hours of round trip drive time and I spent all day Saturday in PVC rain gear and rubber boots but it was worth it.

2. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Grant's food plots are looking fantastic! Pretty sure this is the barn where they film their video outros but I didn't ask.
    20190330_095607.jpg

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plot rocks?
    Sounds like a fun weekend.
    A few years ago, some friends went down to BluffCountry Outfitters shed hunting and just to chew the fat.
    Good times!

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Plotrock is the newest product from Trophy Rock. The county Grant is in is now a CWD county so he can no longer use the old trophy rocks so he is spreading the mineral straight on the food plots.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always wanted to go to that event but it would be pretty far for me. Sounds like you had a great time. Why do you think they won't do it again?

Blessings........Pastorjim

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Because Grant said at the end of it that it was probably the last one. He said that they started it as a way of sharing information but the Growingdeertv.com site and vids have grown enough to cover that purpose and the field days was a huge chore to put together and host on himself, his family and his staff. He said all said and done it doesn't make much money and it's gotten to be too much of a chore for the value of it.

Some may recall that he had a kidney transplant last year as well. My guess is that his health is also playing a big role in that decision. I didn't think he looked like he felt all that great while we were there but he acted okay. I'm sure it's a big deal to try to host, they don't have a lot of room for parking and some of their grass got tore up pretty good from vehicles and muddy conditions and they live on site so it is probably pretty uncomfortable in a lot of ways.