Illinois Rut?????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jtskullworks, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jtskullworks

jtskullworks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am guessing things are winding down for you guys in the rut department but just wondering what to expect this upcoming week?

I hunted in Brown County with the NAP boys Oct 29th - Nov 5th and saw lots of smaller bucks cruising and making scrapes. I shot a nice 8pt over a decoy and Jason and I ran out of blood the next morning and regretfully had to leave without him so I am still packing a Illinois buck tag.

I am heading up tomorrow to hunt for a few days and try to "get er done"! Thanks for any info on what you guys are seeing up there.

2. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seen a big buck that was corraling a doe yesterday around 10:00am when driving down the interstate in East Central Illinois, then walked up on a real big one at 35 yards bedded alone and injured.
    Good Luck

3. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lasalle county they are all locked down I haven't seen anything move in 2 days

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk

4. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are still moving pretty good in Effingham County. Still seeing lots of activity. Hope it holds through next weekend :)

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They just started chasing this weekend in Bond county and south of I-70. Last weekend bucks were still grouped together.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In all honesty, I havent seen a rut around here. Sangamon/Morgan county. I'm guessing the moon and abnormally high winds for just about every day this month has had them a bit off their normal rut routines. One person's view in one general area.

As far as today went, I didn't see a single deer until 9:30am. Seen threee does bed down about 50yds away and had a separate group of 3 does come in about 10 minutes later. To me it seems groups are starting to be re-established and second estrous cycle is next in line. Rut goes on for longer than the movement, but seems in my neck of the woods the bucks had the benefit of the full moon to get their freak on.

I will say this though, with does starting to group back up it couldn't hurt any to hunt those doe beds a little harder if the winds permit. There's always a doe in estrous at this point, just have to find her.