Illinois Land Owner

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lgordon711, Oct 25, 2016.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys not sure where to put this thread but trying to figure out the best way for me to get to hunt.

Short story my family (Father included) own property in southern Illinois. Growing up I always got landowner tags for free. I went to college and moved out to Colorado. I am now a Colorado resident and not Illinois anymore. I personally am not a owner of any of the property back home. What is the best cheapest way for me to get to hunt. Does anybody have any Spencerian with this? I dont want to buy out of state tags and license. Im pretty sure landowner you dont need a license just a tag. Is there a way to put my name on the property as well as my father or does he actually have to gift me a portion of it?

Its been 2 years since I have hunted and would not mind hunting next year a bit.

Thanks again guys

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you will be required to purchase the non-resident deer tags since you are no longer a resident of IL and don't live with any of the landowners.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  4. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    But what if I owned land? Would I get land owners tag even if im not a resident? I know right now I would have to purchase out of state tags but what If I owned the land is what im asking? Or if there is some kind of Co-Owner of the land like my dad could just put my name in addition to mine. Im not sure how all that stuff works.

To clarify my questions are
    1. Can I get land owners while not being a resident but owning the land?
    2. If so what is the easiest way to do that?

5. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks CLS I saw your post right after I hit send on mine. Looks like it would be alot cheaper 150 for buck 25 for doe If I was a land owner and non resident.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I stand corrected, from above link, $175 and doesn't specify weapon

Resident Illinois landowners who own 40 acres or more of land and resident tenants renting or leasing 40 acres or more of commercial agricultural land, and members of their immediate family, may apply for a free either-sex permit for their property only in counties open for firearm deer hunting. Recipients of the free either-sex permit will also be given a free antlerless-only permit for their property only. Nonresident Illinois landowners (of 40 acres or more land) are also eligible to apply for one either-sex permit and one antlerless-only permit for their property only. The fee to nonresident Illinois landowners (of 40 acres or more land) for permits for their property only shall be $150 for the either-sex permit and $25 for the antlerless-only permit. These applications will not be subject to the public lottery process. This deer hunting permit shall be valid on all farmlands which the person to whom it is issued owns, leases or rents [525 ILCS 5/2.26] in counties open for firearm deer hunting

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Then again, it does specify firearm season. I thought landwowner tags were valid all seasons but still limited to 2 bucks

8. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    I used to get seperate tags for archery and firearem and also late winter season. I would get five free tags per family member. So in my immediate family we would get 15 tags. Plus 10 more tags for my extended family. Not that anywhere close to that many deer would get harvested. But yeah we would get alot for free.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  10. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So who's name is the land in?

11. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I will look into that. Im not in a huge rush. I wont be hunting this season. Maybe next season though.

12. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Robson-My fathers name. 3 brothers own equal portions of 500 acres

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why not hunt elk for a fraction of the price of going home to hunt whitetails?

14. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill buy your license and tags if i can come hunt too!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

15. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    I know nothing about elk hunting dont have any of the gear and dont really have an extra week to take off of work to go figure it out multiple seasons in a row. I thought I would when I moved out here but the other things Colorado offers are much easier to do if im honest and still a ton of fun.

16. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you going to be staying out there permanently? If so, I would definitely start getting involved and learning! It will be awesome once you have it down and you can do it at your own pace. If you have gear to bowhunt whitetails you have enough gear to start bowhunting elk besides maybe a pack frame and some calls. Just go out on the weekends and have fun!

17. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to move back to Stl in a couple years. (still puts me in same non resident issue) I would like to elk hunt but I just think its a ton of work and I dont really have the time to put into it. Maybe if I found somebody out here who did it and could convince me that just doing it on the weekends is doable but I dont know.

18. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I moved out to KC years ago and still received land owners tags, I was told later that in order to receive Landowners tags you must live on your property unless it's over a certain number of acres. Did you keep you IL drivers license? If so have at it I suppose. You could check on KS/CO border tags. I think they are cheap and you can hunt both states. Western KS has tons of public land and huge bucks. I used to pheasant hunt around Concordia, KS and would see monster bucks everywhere. Got me back into bow hunting.