IL resources

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by inplainview, Aug 3, 2009.

1. inplainview

inplainview Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there somewhere I can find a map or a list of places you can bowfish in IL?

Like where there are bowfishing species, and places its allowed?

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure you can shoot any rough fish from any public body of water.
    But I would check it out for sure. You can start your search here.
    http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/

P.M. Christine and I know she can give you the right answer.

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the info you need is in the Illinois Fishing Digest.

Legal species (currently) in IL are Carp, Carpsuckers, suckers, bowfin, gar and buffalo.

You need a sportfishing license to bowfish. (regular fishing license)

Where you can bowfish is much trickier. The fishing digest has a long list of 'site specific' regulations. You need to find the body of water you are thinking of bowfishing and look it up. It may be a 'site specific' regulation water. Some of those waters do not allow bowfishing, some do but with seasons, others with distance restrictions and other confusing regulations. You have to look at the numbers in parentheses (if there are any) for the body of water in question. These refer back to 'subsection' regulations that are listed in the beginning of the site specific regs.

It's easy to understand once you know what you're looking at but it's confusing at first.

If the body of water is not listed, it may mean it's okay to bowfish there or maybe not. It may be a municipally owned lake and under local regulations. (some towns do not allow discharge of a projectile within city limits and will apply that to bowfishing)

Truly, Illinois has the most convoluted bowfishing laws out of any state I've bowfished.

The easiest thing to do is to go to www.illinoisbowfishers.com and call one of us or go to our message board and ask about certain waters. (or you can pm me here)

There are many waters still closed to bowfishing but the Illinois Bowfishers has been working hard to open several of them up over the past couple of years. :)

4. inplainview

inplainview Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks.

I thought maybe I could find a map or something breaking down sections of the state like they do for public hunting grounds.

The digest IS confusing, but it looks like I'll have to start there and just get a hold of officials for any place that seems fuzzy.

Tomorrow I'm planning on finally getting on the water for the first time. I got a retriever this weekend, shot some last night. I have to say, all this feels really awkward!

After about an hour though I was clanging arrows at 12 ft, so I think I might have a few popped! I'll let you guys know how it goes.