Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

If you shot a possible WORLD RECORD buck?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cover page article got me thinking. What if you knew the whereabouts of a world record caliber buck, and actually put an arrow through it?

A 200" typical or 300" non-typical?

Would you report it? Share it? Sell it? Tour with it? (Tony Lovstuen, Mike Beatty, Milo Hanson) or would you go Mitch Rompola and keep it as much of a secret as possible?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First thing I would do is crack open a beer and grill out the backstraps.

Depending on how much I would actually get for it, I'd likely sell it and get a replica made for the cabin. That would be just fine for me and I'll take the money and run.

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd take the money and run.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This pretty much is right in line with what I'd do...

On another note did the Rampala buck have some controversy surrounding it? I never did learn what the truth was about it, magnificent buck though!

5. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd take about 1000 pictures with every possible hunting product I had(individually) and pimp those to the companies. Then I'd hope to start a bidding war for the actual rack. Maybe get paid to do some interviews with/about the buck.

Might sound F'd up but realistically to me it's just bone and if I could in any way use it to help my family financially I would.

6. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Never verified if it was a real buck. It was scored unofficially i believe, but then he went into secret with it. Never entered it into any books or had the rack officially inspected.

I do know that Mitch Rompola killed a TON of big bucks over the years though.

7. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would show my family and friends....and wait to see how long it took for Cabelas to call and offer me the money, to say, "nah...he looks good right where he is, thanks". I know you get a replica, but I dont think it would be the same, especially for that caliber of deer. I like to think this is exactly how I would handle it, but if the money offer was good enough, it would honestly be hard to pass up. But to me, money is not what is important to me. I am not rich, but we live pretty comfortable most of the time, and I am fortunate enough to have a pretty lucrative hobby that lets me buy most of the hunting gear and new bows that I want...so I would like to think I would pass and keep the real mount. I dont like publicity, so I wouldnt go around looking to be on the news or anything.

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever route made my family the most money.

9. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ricks iphone pics 063.jpg after reading my post, it may get you wondering...but no, I am totally legit and legal, lol. I keep and breed high end designer morph boa constrictors and reticulated pythons...

10. Doe Slayer

Doe Slayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Call dnr. Take them to stand and show where shot, found and gutted. Have it green scored, take lots of pics to ensure if its stolen i can try to track it down. Call news organization like field and stream or bowhunting.com to do an article on it. Make as money off it as possible so i cqn hunt forever trying to beat it.!!!

11. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a touchy subject. Not sure about the legalities of it but I would probably lie about the property it was shot on. People seem to flock to private land around here if they hear a big buck was shot in the area. Happened a little bit with my bros 199 incher.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The last thing on my mind would be how much money I can make on It. Never would the real rack leave my place to go hang In some sports store and have a replica made for myself. I'd most likely take It to conventions/shows If someone wanted It there just to see It but It would go right back home with me at the end of the show.

13. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    So you would be okay with leaving possibly a $100,000 or more on your wall? Not sure what the world record would be worth honestly, but if i was ever in a situation where i had that kind of exposure on my wall...id want to get rid of it. Give me a replica or two and take the headache away. People are going to want to see it, no doubt.

The WORLD RECORD BUCK would be a cultural icon in America. It already is. Guys like Mike Beatty, Tony Lovstuen, Milo Hanson, Jerry Bryant got ALOT of exposure after there deer were harvested. We still talk about the Del Austin buck (old mossy horns) and the Jordan buck and they arnt even the world records anymore. The "Schultzy Buck" would have a pretty good ring to it ;)

14. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It would be very hard to pass up the money if I was getting a replica and had all my pictures. I think it all would probably be more hassle than its worth.

It would be interesting to talk to past record holders to see what they thought of the attention.

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly. You become part of public history at that point...

16. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Man, besides hugging every day im not sure!!

17. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say I would have a couple replicas made and sell the actual bone to the highest bidder. To me having a replica would be sufficient enough. After all nobody would ever be able to take the thrill and memory of the actual hunt. That's really what's most important to me. The actual bone is just a visual reminder of the true prize of the memories and being able to tell the story. So I would have no probs selling the actual antlers to further benefit my families future.

18. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would hang on my wall right next to all my other bone end of story.

19. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would probably sell it as long as I received a full body replica along with a shoulder mount replica.

20. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Call 911 to come get me outta my stand, get a lifetime worth of hero shots with every hunting product known to man, sell it, sell the rights to my pics, get paid, replica it up.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2